rooster growling?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlove, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I have a 4 mnth polish rooster. A few weeks ago he started trying to peck us (which I stopped by putting my foot under him and sending him airborne or picking him up and carrying him around for several minutes). He has not tried pecking again but he has made this growling noise at my husband a few times when my husband gets close to him. Sometimes the rooster even lays down and growls at him. What does it mean? I am the person that takes care of the chickens and he has never made this noise to me.

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I have never heard of this ,We have a polish roo he hasnt growled yet just nonstop crowing LOL maybe hubby should growl backLOL!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Growling is usually an alarm call, a warning of danger.

4. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks for the info. My husband does not mess with the chickens often so maybe the rooster sees him as the scary giant that does not give treats.[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Isn't that about the most startling growl you've ever heard? The first time I heard it, I looked around for the Big Dog that must have entered my back yard!!! Amazing that comes from a CHICKEN.

And it certainly gives credence to the theory they're descended from dinosaurs! Little velociraptors.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Scared the bejesus out of me the first time my rooster growled at me. It was after dark and I was closing up the coop window.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a predator attack once (not sure what kind, but I suspect a hawk). My roo corraled all his hens into a tight spot where no predator could get at them. When I walked out there all 13 hens and the roo were growling. It would be a very scary sound to hear if it was after dark, that's for sure.

8. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Luckily ours did it in the day. If it had been during the night it would have been creepy. I had no idea that chickens could growl until now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by