1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster guarding broody hen, cute pic, look Karla!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skillswife, Jul 1, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    We just got Rusty, RIR, from another BYC member Karla as it turned out he is a rooster and they can't have one. Anyhow our house is a temporary location for him as his final destination had disaster this week with her grandson being born this week 2 months premature. So Rusty has taken to Millie our broody hen and sits with her almost all day/night and although he hasn't been mean at all he fluffs and talks to us as if to say, leave her alone, lol. Its so cute! So Karla he is adjusting well!
    [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That's so cute!! [​IMG]

3. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Cute!

With your nesting baskets, do the chickens scratch out the straw everywhere? I am having such issues with my nesting boxes! Our coop is sand, supposedly, but with all of the pine shavings everywhere from the nesting boxes which they scratch out and move all over the coop, I might as well not have put sand down at all. [​IMG]

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Quote:They do, and one of the boxes above millie they think is where they need to roost and poop [​IMG] . But I just have shavings down so its not too big of a deal for me. I just get tired of refilling the boxes, lol.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    oh how sweet!! i CAN NOT BELIEVE i MISSED THIS ! MY KIDS ARE RIGHT BY ME AND THERE LAUGHING AND CRYING, THEY MISS THAT BOY. IS HE SWEET TO YOU TO?? THANK YOU, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART FOR TAKING A PICTURE AND LETTING US SEE HIM!! MAYBE WHEN YOU GET SOME FERTILE EGGS OR CHICKS THIS SPRING YOU WILL SELL ME SOME [​IMG] IM JUST SO HAPPY rUSTY IS DOING OK AND HAPPY!

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP HIM? i HOPE THAT WE CAN SEE HIM AGAIN SOME DAY IN A PICTURE, HE WAS SO LOVED lol, i KNOW SOUNDS DUMB BUT HE WAS SUCH A GOOD BOY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by