Rooster gurgling

CrestedGirl

Polish Obsessed
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
1) What type of bird, age, weight?
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

1) Polish roo, 6 months, seems thin.
2) Normal, except has been gurgling.
3)since I got him.
4) No, We have him quarantined.
5) No
6) Not sure what he has, doesn't seem normal
7) He has been eating Purina flock raiser and has been drinking water
8) Poop looks normal
9) I havent given him anything yet.
10) I don't know what he has and I would like to find out so I can treat it if treatable.
11) Will get one soon
12) In a large dog crate with clean, dry shavings.

I recently purchased a polish rooster. We have had him quarantined for since we got him (2 days ago). He seems to be normal except he has been gurgling every once in a while lately. He doesn't have any discharge coming from the eyes or nose and his breath does not smell. Could he have some sort of parasite such as gapeworm? Please help, Thanks

Does he gurgle on intake or out-take of breath, or just his stomach area??? There isn't any chance these are just little growls are they? My silkey rooster growls and honks all the time. Guest always ask if he's dying, LOL.

I can't really tell if its when he breaths in or out, but I will continue to watch and listen to see. The gurgles are coming from his throat area, they don't happen too often though. He is a very gentle and sweet rooster, I don't he isn't growling though lol.

Anyone?
sad.png

Sounds like some sort of respiratory infection. Does he have any "snot" around his nostrils? I got a Golden Sebright rooster who was "gurgling" and had a running nose. I separated him from the hens he came with and after a week of terramycin-laced water fixed it
smile.png

Edit: I didn't see where you said there was no discharge or smell. If there isn't, then I have no idea what it could be
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
He doesn't have any snot that I've noticed. He has a regular appetite and has been drinking well. However, when he drinks or eats his body makes this strange noise around his throat area.
sad.png
His breath still doesn't smell and he has no other symptoms than the gurgling.

Back
Top Bottom