Rooster had a fight today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candkbowden, Mar 10, 2017.

1. candkbowden

candkbowden Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Richmond County NC
    Ok so I came home from work today well let me start from beginning I currently have two hens and two roosters have had for bout 1 1/2 months and they are brothers well they had a fight I am not sure if anyone cut deep but I got them separated if I put them back together tomorrow think they will fight again or they done for now or are they ok to put back together tonight need help not sure need some kind of guidance thanks

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Usually they fight until one gives in and if one doesn't give in they fight to the death. If you put them back together they will fight again Just watch them and if one of them is obviously losing let them finish and after that they will be fine. If they are evenly matched you may have to get rid of one of the brothers.

1 person likes this.
  3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    But even then, with two hens and two roosters you have WAAAAY too many roosters for the number of hens. You do't need roosters to get eggs, only if you want to hatch eggs but if that is the case you only need one rooster for every ten hens or so. Your hens are going to be very overbred and unhappy. Unless you intend to get more hens and soon you might want to keep the sexes separated or get some more hens soon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You only have the 2 hens? You have too much testosterone for so few females. Even if the males stop fighting (and there's a good chance they won't stop) your hens will likely wind up overbred and egg production could slow or even stop completely.

Why do you have chickens? Just for eggs? Then you may want to consider getting rid of one or both males to keep your egg producers happy. If you can't part with them then consider keeping them separated in a bachelor pad. If you want to hatch eggs you can rotate one rooster in with the hens on a limited basis for fertile eggs. If you do hatch have a plan for dealing with the excess cockerels you will get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by