Rooster had choked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Symphony, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

This isn't an emergency, more of an idea to help people.

I have two roosters, one named Amigo and one named Pumkin, now they don't fight, but during the day Amigo will chasing pumkin now and then, mainly during eating. This has gotten Pumkin into a habit of eating fast, VERY fast, when he is eating from the ground it helps. But two days ago he was being really sweet so I figured I'd feed him from the scoop. He was eating fast, and I was thinking: "Boy Pumkin, can't you take a break!" So I put the scoop down, then I noticed Pumkin was choking, the jammed food was 3x the size of his neck.

The first thing I did was what I do with a hen with a little but of food stuck, make him drink water, it helped little. Then I kept rubbing his throat, he started turning purple, it was awful. Then I decided to spin him around in a circle, I did so, then gave him more water, rubbed him more. His color started coming back, so I spung him around again, then I just rubbed his throat until almost all his color came back, once only parts of his come were purple I put him down to walk around. The next morning (yesterday) his throat was slightly swollen, but he crowed as usual, and was/is happy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you so much for this.
    I had a rooster that choked a lot from eating to fast. [​IMG]

what eggzactly do you mean when you said you spung him around????

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:x2

4. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

I had my right hand holding both his legs, and my left on his chest, then I spung around in a circle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by