Rooster Harassing Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    No, I know roosters harass hens. That's what they do. [​IMG]

The problem is that this one rooster, Casanova, is pecking the heck out of any of the girls who want to lay eggs. He comes to their nest box and pecks the heck out of them until they leave. [​IMG]

I've caught him and discouraged this behavior to a point where he left them alone to lay their eggs for a week, but today I caught him again and now the other hens are trying to shield the laying hen. [​IMG] After one stern correction, he did it again, so I pulled him out of the pen and put him in with the ducks and turkey who aren't laying.

I think he's trying to tell me "Soup is Good Food." The other rooster, Crooked Toes, is actually a perfect gentleman when it comes to his ladies and lets them lay their eggs. But I'm thinking I can get a better rooster than Casanova who will let the girls lay in peace.

What do you think? Soup is good food?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Soup is good food" if a week or so in isolation does not readjust Casanova's attitude.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Actually I prefer broth with the older ones. Anywhere from 12 to 18 hours in the crock pot on low heat with all the water you can get in there, some celery, carrots, peppercorns, salt, onion, maybe oregano, basil, and/or thyme. I use the back, legs, neck, heart, gizzard, almost everything imaginable except the liver. It took me two batches but I got 13 pints of great broth and 6 cups of moist tender cooked meat out of my last 16 month old rooster. But, yeah, I think he has a date with your kitchen.

4. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Quote:well said! [​IMG]

5. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Ditto. [​IMG]

6. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Sounds like it's time to send Casanova to that great big Chicken Pot Pie in the sky. Your hens don't need stressers that simply do not need to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by