Rooster has a blue comb this morning

Kanat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
NC
My OEGB Rooster seems to be fine BUT his normally red comb looks very bluish this morning! It wasn't cold last night and nothing has changed. Why could this be?

Thanks!

Could be several things, including avian influenza or blue comb disease. I would isolate the bird and keep and eye on him.

Heart defects can cause blue combs as well. I agree to isolate and monitor.

If it is just the tips of the comb (which you did not specify) your roo is getting frostbite. If a good portion of the comb is blue, then you have a more serious problem. VET RX is a real good start. Put it ON his comb and waddles. Put is in some water for him to drink (a little) too. It really is good stuff.

He is still acting normal, no respiratory signs. His whole comb is though bluish.

He has also some darkness in his legs. I think that he had scaly leg mite earlier this fall. I treated him with Vaseline for that but his legs never got the same.

Thanks!

You are not hearing what you are being told. Blue comb and legs indicates a lack of oxygen. A respiratory or circulatory problem. Not leg mites or something of that nature.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't believe that this has anything to do with mites either.

Hi,

I took these photos of my Rooster this morning. He has been isolated since. I have applied some VetRx into his comb and wattles. He looks sleepy more than anything. No sneezing or gasping... I agree that the bluishness is a sign of lack of O2. Heart disease? I am not 100% sure that how old he is. I thought that maybe 3 years or so but I am not sure.

The comb does not look as blue in photos as in nature.

16902_bluecomb3.jpg

16902_bluecomb.jpg

16902_sick.jpg

I have to add that a week ago I lost a hen. She went very quickly. I noticed her gasping a lot and when massaging her throat she vomited foul smelling mud. She was very thin. She did not have hardly any crop. What I have read in this message board made me think of thrush (Candida). I had only owned this hen for less than a month. I think that she was stressed. The rooster does not have similar symptoms but for sure something is going on with him!!!??? Or hopefully nothing? Maybe I am just too sensitive now because only a week ago I had to bury one of my hens...

I appreciate your help!

THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom