Rooster has a broken leg...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by L_Newt, Feb 2, 2009.

1. L_Newt

L_Newt New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    This is our first year at raising chickens but we are learning very quickly as we go. My husband had minor experience when he was a child. I have had none.
    All of a sudden, our rooster comes up with a broken leg. He's getting around okay when he doesn't accidentally step on his own dragging leg. Then he falls over. Not a pretty sight.
    My husband says we have to put him down. Isn't there something else we can do??? (Hopefully something that doesn't involve a vet.)

2. raizin

raizin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    My Coop
    I would put him down. eat him, and get three more unsexed chicks. You are bound to get a rooster that way.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Make a splint out of popsicle sticks. [​IMG] Also put him in a place where he cant roost. That just keeps him from prolonging the healing to his leg. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Oh and [​IMG] from TN

5. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

You can do two things, make a splint or put him down. If you're going to make a splint, do it quickly so the bones do protrude through. popsicle sticks( as mentioned above) will work fine. Put him away from the rest of the flock until healed. otherwise, put him down. He'll do more damage to himself if its not taken care of either way. Don't want him to suffer.

6. L_Newt

L_Newt New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Thank you so much. He's a great rooster, but hubby's dying to turn him into Coq Au Vin. I'll try the sticks and cross my fingers.

7. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure if you go that route that the sticks are relatively comfortable against the leg and the wrapping is too. And to isolate him from the flock... Good luck and keep us posted

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What makes you think his leg is broken? Marek's may make them act like that too.

9. L_Newt

L_Newt New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    His leg from the knee down just hangs there. He drags it around and occasionally steps on it and falls down. When he's standing still, he just holds it up.

10. mjelse

mjelse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I have had birds with broken legs twice. Both times they survived and were fine. We splinted the leg and made a sling that was like a baby bouncer so the bird's weight was supported. It sounds more labor-intensive than it was, it was really pretty easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by