Rooster has a fit after cleaning coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eandsm, Jan 15, 2018.

1. eandsm

eandsm In the Brooder

Jan 15, 2018
    We have 4 Buff Orpington hens and 1 BO rooster. While Stubs, the rooster, is extremely friendly (with me anyway), he has a fit whenever I clean out the coop. He watches me closely as I'm cleaning it out. Then, when I'm finished, he will go into the coop and lay his chest to the floor, raise up his hind end, and whine and make all kinds of weird noises. It's like he's going into the coop to throw a fit! I know they don't like change, but he really can't be THAT attached to all his poop! I'm really just curious as to why he does this. Is this normal behavior, or do I just have a weird rooster? lol

2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :pop

3. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    I don't know but it sounds very funny. You ought to record it next time and put it on Youtube.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is he scratching and turning around when he does this ? Sounds as if he is calling the hens into the clean digs and making the "here's a good spot to lay an egg" sound.

aldarita, aart, JedJackson and 2 others like this.
  5. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I agree with sourland. Maybe he’s like ooh ladies here are some clean shavings to lay in. Roosters will do that, and it does seem funny. Mine does that too. A video would be very helpful, and funny.

6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Really? My roosters don't have the least bit of interest in anything to do with laying. But sometimes when I put new litter down they'll scratch around and make that "look, I found food!" call.

Brahma Chicken5000 and Abriana like this.
  7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    One of my hens (Raggedy Ann) goes into the coop after weekly cleaning. When I did a nice job to spread out the straw evenly, and scratches it into piles . GC

8. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    Some do some don’t.

sourland likes this.
  9. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    My hens do that too.
    Want this place to look neat? Nope! I’m going to mess it up!!
    I love my chickens, naughty as they are though.

10. eandsm

eandsm In the Brooder

Jan 15, 2018
    No, he's not scratching at all. His chest is on the ground, with his hind end up. He starts whining and screaching. It's really quite hilarious. My husband and I get a good laugh every time he does it. Actually, I believe he's done it when there have been other changes in the run, also, but mostly whenever I clean out the coop. I will try and record it sometime. It's like his own little private time where he can throw a little fit, since none of the hens are in the coop when he does it. Weird rooster, but we love him all the same. lol

11. peckpeckpeck

peckpeckpeck Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    Aloha OR
    Waiting for the video :pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: