Rooster has a scabby Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BCbirder, Feb 17, 2012.

1. BCbirder

BCbirder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I have a rooster, a Cukoo Maran around 3 years old. He is eating well and his poop is fine but he has a scabby comb. I initially thought it was because I had Blackberry bushes in the pen and I thought he was getting caught by the thorns in the blackberry bushes. I noticed the hens pecked at his comb at night so it wasn't healing very well. I took him out into his own pen and it he is looking better but I noticed that he seems to be short of breath really easily. I catch him to wash his comb and put some ointment on it and he seems to have laboured breathing when I pick him up. It goes away when he is just walking around. He does shake his head from time to time but he he does it when he flaps his wings and crows so I thought it was because he is talking to his hens through the fence.
    There is a small Old English Game bantam rooster that got in his pen and he chased my huge Cuckoo Rooster which also made me think he was not feeling well. He got his comb pecked again by the little guy.
    I have not noticed any problems with the other hens. I don't think it is Fowl Pox because it does not look like spots rather like a burn. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
    Does anyone have an idea of what I am dealing with? I have a pen he can stay in by himself but it is next to the pen with the other chickens. Is that far enough away? I don't want him to get stressed if he is by himself.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It does indeed sound like the birds are sensing his decline. The labored breathing sounds a bit ominous. I have 2 thoughts on that. He could have a failing heart or he might be anemic from mites. I would check him over for bugs at night very carefully. Mites can rapidly kill full-grown healthy birds by draining them of blood. That would lead to all the signs you are seeing. If his heart is failing, then there is not a lot you can do. Supportive care only unless you want to take him to a vet.

Let us know what you find after a bug check.

3. BCbirder

BCbirder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I did a bug check on him a few months ago and he got a dusting. His feathers were not looking that great and he did have mites.. I checked him a few times since and he seems fine.
    He did have a problem in the summer where he stepped on a thorn and it got caught just under his toenail. Because he scratches it kept the wound open and it got infected. I didn't notice right away. He was eating and doing all his rooster chores. I felt bad when I did notice, soaked and wrapped his foot until it healed. I wonder if it caused him to be a bit more run down.

He still eats and poops good, but heart problems, I never thought of that. It would explain why he seems fine when he is by himself.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would still be inclined to think that at 3 y.o. he would still be in his prime. That may or may not be the case, but I would be looking more at outside causes to his problems than at internal ones at his age. I would double-check to make sure he didn't still have a bug problem. Mites are tough to get rid of. I suspect (from his symptoms) he may have them again.

5. Henny Maple

Henny Maple New Egg

Jan 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture that I took today. This side is the worst but it is looking better. The colour is good, as is his appetite and poop so I am hoping it is nothing serious. What so you think? Has anyone seen this before? It looks like a burn. We are in a very mild but wet climate. Temp is around 5-1- degrees in the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by