1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster has a sore foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clairemcc1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. clairemcc1

clairemcc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have a young Sussex rooster who has no power nor strength in his right leg and foot. I don't know what happened to him as there is no obvious sign of any cut or injury. He is holding his leg up of the ground and unable to put any weight on it. I have looked at the foot and the toes seem weak/ limp but there is no sign of any cut or infection anywhere. He is managing to balance himself using his wing and I have put him in a little house on his own to make sure he is not getting bullied by the others.

Does anyone know or have any suggestion as to what may be wrong with his foot?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How Old?
    How many chickens do you have?
    Have you gotten any new chickens in the past few months?
    Could it be an injury?
    Is it getting worse?

3. clairemcc1

clairemcc1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi there, its approximately 6 months old and I have 25 chickens in total. But only 6 in the coop that this rooster developed its sore foot. And no, ive got no new chickens recently. I can't see any sign on any injury, so I really dont know what has happened or what it could be. It dosnt seem to be getting any worse but likewise its not getting any better either as I dont have a clue what is wrong or what has happened [​IMG]?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I took a neighbor's hen a few years ago that broke her leg, which I healed. There was a bit of movement where the break was, showing me where the break was. Her leg was not flopping or bent, she just didn't put weight on it. I also had another few that had a pelvic/hip injury that would avoid using the leg for weeks, but did recover.

It's hard to dx when you don't have the chicken in hand. I wish I could say more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by