rooster has a wheezing sound when crowing is this normal?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by borchard23, May 20, 2016.

1. borchard23

borchard23 New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Hello I am new to this site & new to raising chickens. I am very excited to be raising them and getting fresh eggs.
    So anyways I have a Easter Egger Rooster who is about a Year old maybe a lil over. I am not sure if this is normal but before he crowed he use to sound like he purrs and still does it........ Now that he crows after the crow it is followed by a wheezing sound and has done it ever since he crowed. he is healthy and very active and my other rooster (silver laced wyandotte) crows normally like a average rooster. None of my chickens are sick all very healthy so if he was sick wouldn't my other hens show signs of sickness?
    I am just worried cause he is a beautiful rooster and would hate to loose him. but like I said he has never showed signs of sickness very active.
    some advice is appreciated .. thank you
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have a hen that does this exact same thing after she sings her egg song. The last note is followed by a wheeze. LOL She is healthy, 5 years old and seems perfectly fine. Crowing and cackling take a lot of lung power. This sound may be the emptying of the air sacs or them refilling with air. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he is eating, drinking, active and as normal as he always is. Keep an eye on him and if he does show any signs of illness, be sure to post in our emergency section. But I am betting he is just fine. He sure is pretty!! :)

Welcome to our flock!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a beutiful roo you have there :love TwoCrows has left you some great advice. I would not to be too worried while he is acting normal amd eating and drinking well.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a stunning boy he is![​IMG]

7. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    My new Buff Orpington rooster does the same thing. The last note of his crow sounds like a diesel engine brake and then it tapers off into a wheeze.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the above postings. Seems just like something they do when they are learning to crow. Gorgeous bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by