1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster has awkward walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aliciahess, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello all,
    My rooster woke up this morning and doesn't seem to be walking right. Poop norm, comb is bright, still crowing.
    He gets up walks a few feet then seems to wobble, spreads his wings and lays down. Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease as a chick? Does he sit on his hocks or elbows, and do any of his toes curl under? Can you tell if he has weakness in one leg or the other? Does he free range where he could have eaten something poisonous? Look at the bottoms of his feet and legs for redness, swelling, and at the footpads for a dark spot. Get some poultry vitamins to put in his water right away, or take a B Complex tablet and crush it into his water or food. Here are a few links to read about Mareks disease, although it may be something else entirely, such as a sprain or bone deformity:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    No dark spots, feet and legs aren't swollen. No limping. He is eating, takes a couple of steps and then it's like he is exhausted, stands up tall spreads his wings and then just plops down.
    I'm not aware that he was vaccinated, have had him since he was a month old and no other problems, still crowing.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he seem to use his wings to balance or keep from falling over? That can be another Mareks symptom. It would be best to keep him in a small space where he can easily get to his food and water. Human B Complex or Nurtritional yeast contain the vitamins he needs, and Rooster Booster at many feed stores sells several poultry vitamins for water or feed.

5. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Cant tell if its a balance thing. I wil go get some booster for him.

6. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Update..my rooster seems to be okay this morning. Up moving around, eating and acting like normal. So relieved!! Still plan on picking up some booster just to have on hand.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe he had a small sprain or something temporary bothering him. Hopefully he is back to normal.

8. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Fingers crossed. We just got done moving into new house, so I'm wondering if maybe he was a little stressed and got a sprain

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by