cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My 16ish week old cockerel has a bare spot on the side of his neck. I just noticed this today because I’ve been away for a week. Upon further examination it is bare of both sides of the neck. Oh, and he recently started crowing. Is it something to be concerned about?
(Btw, his eye is fine; he is just blinking in the first photo)
FAD731C2-A32F-494D-8ECF-74A6C0190A33.jpeg

757E2622-E1DB-4384-9EF0-99E6087826E6.jpeg
75BAEEF9-4784-41D6-9246-83F8E3E6AA4D.jpeg

Too young to molt. He's getting plucked, possible attacked. I'm thinking more plucked. Check out other birds in the flock as well. Also check for mites.

Too young to molt. He's getting plucked, possible attacked. I'm thinking more plucked. Check out other birds in the flock as well. Also check for mites.
Could you please explain what you mean about checking the other birds? Also where and how should I check for mites? I kinda did on a couple of them but didn't see anything.

Could you please explain what you mean about checking the other birds? Also where and how should I check for mites? I kinda did on a couple of them but didn't see anything.
Check them all over in the same spot as the rooster is bald. You're looking for what could be the start of what he gots.
Any warm places.

Just little black dots? And are you sure the rooster has mites? I didn't see any on him when I checked 2 days ago.
No, that's where he's been plucked. I'm saying do a mite check because that can sometimes be a reason for balding, though I doubt that's the case. I'm thinking flock mates plucked him.

No, that's where he's been plucked. I'm saying do a mite check because that can sometimes be a reason for balding, though I doubt that's the case. I'm thinking flock mates plucked him.
Ok.....I'm also thinking boredom. :hmm
I recently measured the chicken run and did the math with my current flock and it turns out that each bird has 16.5 sq footage of space. What could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom