Rooster has been abused ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tulsatigger, Dec 17, 2012.

1. tulsatigger

tulsatigger Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Gray Acres
    I am new here and I am new at the whole raising chickens. I have 10 Rhode Island Reds, 6 Barred Rocks and as of yesterday 4 White Americana's....and I have one beautiful neighboring rooster....The rooster is what I am having major concerns about. He has been coming over from the neighbor for several months, shows up in the mornings and leaves to go back home at dusk....I have really enjoyed him and he is not aggressive at all!
    Well, I guess the neighbors found out and didn't want him coming over any more so we didnt see him for 3 days. Then yesterday he showed back up and I was so upset. He looks like they did something very terrible to him. His beautiful red comb is now black all over, his feathers are a mess and he is not himself. He now will sit off alone and fall asleep! he has no life in him what so ever. Can anyone please tell me what I can do for him. I WILL NOT LET HIM LEAVE! He is going to stay with us. I cannot handle the thought of him (SUNNY) going back to a home that would allow this to happen! If someone could give me some advice, it would be so much appreciated !

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

i would keep him

3. dquarles74

dquarles74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Lufkin, Texas
    Maybe you could ask your neighbor what happened to him out of concern. Do they have dogs or some animal that would hurt him? If they don't have a good answer then maybe call SPCA or something?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, tulsatigger, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! That is a sad situation. Have you thought of asking your neighbors if you could have/buy/trade him? The black comb sounds almost like he is getting picked on by other birds. Shouldn't be frostbite in your area - at least not yet (I assume the tulsa in your name indicates Oklahoma?). If you suspect he is being abused there is always the option of reporting them. Of course then they may just butcher him or otherwise dispose of him. Just my opinion but this sounds like a situation where honey catches more flies than vinegar. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for Sunny!

5. tulsatigger

Dec 16, 2012
    Gray Acres
    [​IMG]

6. tulsatigger

Dec 16, 2012
    Gray Acres
    [​IMG]

7. tulsatigger

Dec 16, 2012
    Gray Acres
    [​IMG]

8. tulsatigger

Dec 16, 2012
    Gray Acres
    [​IMG]

This was Sunny BEFORE the damage ! I am not letting him go back. My next statement isn't racist, however my neighbors are Mexicans and their whole property is TRASHED! They don't care. I need to know what happend so here are pictures. Has ayone ever seen this before ?

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure...looks painful, though. Eyes look bright - a good sign. You might post at the following link and see if someone there has an idea on what this might be - explain the circumstances. I'm certainly not defending your neighbors - it sounds like they aren't very good chicken parents, but it would be nice to know what is causing the black comb.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] It looks like he has some minor injuries to his comb. A good clean and some antibiotic cream will help there. I really think you should hang on to him. Offer to buy him from the neighbours. He's a gorgeous boy!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by