Rooster has been hopping on one leg and has been getting worse

Necromancer28

Hatching
Jan 18, 2020
Good morning,

I have a rooster that is a sumatra chicken (we have called him Spicy). He has been a great and personable chicken; however, this winter he has been going slowly downhill. It started off with him not wanting to put weight on one leg. We looked at it and there was nothing broken. The scales seemed to be a tad puffy so we soaked his feet in epson salt water and applied blue kote incase of an infection. We also did this to almost all of the other chickens as there were a few with feathered feet that got poop stuck on their feet.
We constantly soaked and reapplied blue kote to Spicys legs at least twice a week. It seemed to stay in about the same condition. A bulge started to appear on his injured leg. This has been getting bigger and bigger. His foot has started to shrivel and I'm at the point where I might put him down. His other foot is also starting to have some toes do the same.
I have asked around for advice from other chicken groups with no help. It looks horrible right now and the only reason I haven't put him down is that he is still acting the same as when he was healthy. He doesn't crow as much but he will still chase the other roosters away and clucks everytime I come in to check on him. He does crow but not as much.

The photos attached are of when the problems first started about a month and a half ago and of a few days ago. They are graphic and I'm embarrassed to even post them.

There has been one other chicken with a problem. His foot was broken and got frostbite. It has since amputated off but he is still running around and crowing like he isnt missing a foot.

We have had a coop burn down kn the past froma heat lamp and I'm terrified that will happen again. The floor is messy and I'm unable to clean it now because the ground is frozen. I have been putting a layer of hay down to help keep everything dry.
20200104_115329.jpg
20200104_115336.jpg
20191207_104708.jpg
20191207_104718.jpg

Sorry about your rooster.
It looks like articular gout. What do you feed your flock?
The raised scales in the last picture do look like he may also have a bit of scaly leg mites. You would want to treat that by smothering the mites. You can use vaseline or an oil like mineral, castor or coconut.

Corn mainly. We do give them table scraps like lettuce.
It is so cold out that I dont want his feet to get worse if the oil gets cold and cause frostbite?

Corn mainly. We do give them table scraps like lettuce.
It is so cold out that I dont want his feet to get worse if the oil gets cold and cause frostbite?
Where are you located?
Corn is not a complete diet for chickens. You should put your birds on a complete feed that is appropriate for your flock. I would switch them over to Flock Raiser, All flock or equivalent with oyster shell on the side for any active layers.
If it is articular gout it can be caused by a high energy diet. Feeding nearly all corn would certainly fall into that category as well as being deficient in vitamin A.
He may also benefit from some additional vitamin A for a short time but that is typically administered IM. Allopurinol can also be administered to prevent the build up of uric acid crystals in the joints but that would require a visit to the vet.
If a vet visit is out of the question, I would start with a dietary change and see if he gets any relief.

The first 2 of the pictures look like frostbite of toes. The swelling could be related to that. There are also scaly leg mites in the pics. A good application of castor oil or mineral oil rubbed up into the scales twice a week should help. Don’t use vaseline or something thick because it can freeze. Do not massage anything that has been frostbitten. The swollen bulbous yellow areas are where the healthy tissue ends. Below that is probably dead and may fall off.

I would offer your chickens an all flock or flock raiser type feed which is balanced and has 20% protein. Scratch and corn are about 7% protein and have no other nutrients add. It costs a little more, but they will probably eat less of it, and be healthier. Sorry that you are dealing with so many problems, and especially the coop fire last year.

They get a lot of food from the local school that get expired or the kids wont eat like lettuce, carrots, peas. I'll try adding more to their diet. It won't hurt any.

If it is gout wouldn't more of the chickens have the same problem

I'm really looking forward to spring so they can run freely around the yard. They wont even think of going outside with the snow and cold

Gout usually has a lumpy appearance of the whole foot and toes. I believe frostbite and leg mites are the problem. Here are some pictures of gout from SonomasLadies:
1579368060685.jpeg

Attachments

• 1579367987459.jpeg
    1579367987459.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom