Rooster has black bumps on comb & waddle?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps and quacks are me, Aug 31, 2008.

1. peeps and quacks are me

peeps and quacks are me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have no idea what this could be. Blacke cochin roo, 6 months old has developed black, bumpy, spots. They are only on his comb and waddles.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way it has rained a million buckets here. Could this be realated?

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you feel it is not dried blood from someone picking on him, the only thing I can think of right now is fowl pox. I, thank god, have not had to deal with this but you can do a search and see if this fits your symptoms. Hopefully someone else will come along and help. Try to get some pics for us. Good luck.

Check out this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. peeps and quacks are me

Aug 20, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I will have to wait until a.m.
    He is the only one and it came about in the past 2 days.
    I will research the pox, but havo would he have gotten it??

4. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Check out the link I attached in my first post. It has pictures. It says it can be transmitted by mosquitoes.

5. peeps and quacks are me

Aug 20, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    OK thats is what it looks like. We do have lots of bugs due to the rain and wrath of "FAY". I am frusrtated because I have a few with colds. My pens were flooded. We spent all day on the tractor and the shovel, and now this.
    I was reading that there is a vaccine for the birds. Do you know where it can be purchased. I have quite a few birds and don't want them all to have ugly bumps or be sick.
    Thanks so much!!!

6. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
  7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How do you treat it? Is it like Chicken Pox in people? Can the birds recover on their own?

8. peeps and quacks are me

Aug 20, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    To the "chickenlady" - Thanks soooo much. You have a great deal of knowledge. As you can tell I am new to this. I will seek your advice in the future. Thanks agian for all of your kindness and keep up the good work. I sure with all your knowledge you have "been there & done that".
    It just freaks me out to have all of these problems and I have only had them for 6 months. But there's not much I could have done about bugs. But I will treat the rest. I will be 1st @ TSC.

9. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Thank you peeps and quacks for the nice words. I gain knowledge by reading posts on here and then doing a little research. Some of it is from experience though.

Sundown Water Fowl: Click on the link in my first post, it describes it pretty well. seems there is no known treatment for it but there is a vaccine available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by