Rooster has black splotches on Comb and Wattle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by internalkernel, Aug 17, 2014.

1. internalkernel

internalkernel New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Hello... I'm new to the forum and a new chicken owner as well. My wife and I just inherited a coop from our neighbors when they moved away. These birds have lived next store to us for more than a year now - they free range around our cul-de-sac.

Last week the oldest rooster died in the middle of the afternoon with no visible trauma; just barely 3 years old. It took us by surprise, this being our first chicken experience. Of course, I started googling and reading... now I'm watching the rest of the birds much more closely and looking for any strange signs. But... then again, the rooster wasn't showing any strange signs before he fell over either.

We have another rooster... He's younger and maybe getting close to 2 years old now. He has these black splotches all over his comb and wattle. Around the first week of August I noticed the splotches on both roosters. The oldest rooster died on the 14th.

I've included some pictures... googling anything about discolored combs or black spots on wattle returns a lot of results regarding avian flu... but the splotches don't really resemble the flu signs. We have 5 other hens and none of them have anything on their combs.

The bird's poop has been generally somewhat watery... we have a hard time tracking what they eat since they free range around the houses - well, they really only cross about 3 properties... everyone has at least an acre. I feed them a good layer feed with a supplement of alfalfa pellets.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. internalkernel

internalkernel New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks for the reply... I wasn't sure, these being our first chickens. It doesn't quite look like it, but I think you're probably correct - what else could it be...

Perhaps the other rooster died of something unrelated as it doesn't sound like avian flu will kill an otherwise healthy bird... They've only been showing symptons for the past two weeks.

Thanks again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by