rooster has blocked rear end- please help *pictures are graphic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crickett B, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    My daughter brought 12 LARGE chickens (4 to 6 months) up last month, in a very large dog crate, 4 hours from I live. By the time she arrived, one of the rooster had almost been plucked alive. Blood was every where.

I have never had chickens before this, and did not know with to do with him. He seemed okay, after the blood stopped, and the chickens were not all in the same cage. Next couple of days, only thing that made him different from the other chickens, was no butt feathers (hence his name) and he looked sunburned back there. About two weeks ago, his feathers started coming back.

Now that I am more use to the chickens, I sit out there and watch them alot, which is how I spotted his problem. He was straining to poop. He blows up his feathers, closes his eyes and squawks when he goes. So yesterday I took him up to our local feed store, and they taught me how to spray off his rear and then put neosporin on the area. Plus they gave me something to put in the water, but I have forgotton what the name of it is. It two table spoons per gallon. Some sort of antibotic, I believe.

What else can I do to help him? I have already washed him twice today, and not sure how many times I should be doing this.

[​IMG]
    The white stuff is the neosporin residue.

[​IMG]
    what it looks like after the warm shower spray and before the neosporin
    Thank you in advance
    Crickett

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... Thats a tough one... I would consult an avian vet. That could become a serious broblem if he's not able to go to the bathroom.

3. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    When you wash it twice a day is all of the poop coming off and is he able to poop? Try treating it like pasty butt (you can do a search on this site). Agter washing it try putting some vaseline around the vent to keep it from crusting up. If the washing isn't working, try using a wet q-tip to gently pry some of the poop off. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

4. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:When I washed him, it does not all come out, there is still that big "clob"like is in the second picture. But he squirts runny poop,and seems to get some relief. I am reading up on the pasty butt problem, and that is what it sounds like he has. It is one heck of a horrible order. I have not been able to find how often I need to wash his rear. Some of the threads say to soak him in warm water, I have been taking him in to the shower and using the hand held hose to let the water hit his rear. I'll try the vaseline and q tip in the morning
    Thank you so much for replying.

5. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Fed him yogurt yesterday, and today some hard scrambled eggs. He also ate a beheaded baby snake we found and killed yesterday. (My chickens free range and only come to the coop at dark)

Today I have blacked mailed my "Losing My Patience"better half, into holding him while I snip the feathers that are accumulating all the dried poopo and going to attempt the vaseline as stated above. This is not going to be easy, as I am some what squeamish when it comes to "doctoring". But if I can't fix it in a few days, I am taking him to vet. Who, when I called about it, took all they had not to bust out laughing at me over the phone. [​IMG] I think they just "do" the large farm animals and not "some crazy city woman who moved to the country" chickens with a blocked rear ends.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would suspect live or mites as a part of the problem. Try giving him a warm shower bath (as you are doing, just bathe ALL of him) with dog or cat flea/tick shampoo. You will need to wet him thoroughly, then rub in the shampoo. Be especially sure to get plenty in the area where he is blocked, and really work at getting it all softened and removed. They you will need to let it work for 5-10 minutes (at least as long as recommendd on hte package. I always close the shower curtain so that my birds remain in the tub during this wait. Then rinse him off with warm water, let him drip dry for a bit and then wrap in an old towel.

For the shampoo, try to get one that contains an insect growth regulator, as it tends to protect the animal longer by preventing any eggs or larvae from reaching maturity.

Keep giving him live culture, unsweetened yogurt as well as the other goodies you have mentioned. I wouldn't use vaseline, but a lighter oil such as bath oil or olive oil or even vegetable oil. You could also use an antibiotic ointment or cream on his irritated skin. Give a little oats or rice or other grains (not corn) to firm up his poop.

7. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I agree with the above post, I sure hope you can get him opened up soon.

You might also try soaking him in a tube or sink, chickens really like warm baths.

Good luck!!

8. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:If he had mites, would not the rest have them as well? I have 18 more.... and he is the only one that has this issue.
    So don't use vaseline, but vegetable oil? I also use Neosporin as well.
    On the oats, do I feed that to him raw or cooked, and can he have instant?

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    What about ACV? Have you tried putting some in his water? It works for chicks with pasty butt, might help him. I'm sure it can't hurt. Use the unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with 'the mother' or sediment in the bottle. Put about a tsp or 2 in a quart waterer. I would use the olive oil for the vent area instead of vaseline. Just in case he picks at it and swallows some.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:If he had mites, would not the rest have them as well? I have 18 more.... and he is the only one that has this issue.
    So don't use vaseline, but vegetable oil? I also use Neosporin as well.
    On the oats, do I feed that to him raw or cooked, and can he have instant?

The other birds might also have the issue, but often as with people, some birds are "tastier" to the bugs than others. And once he was attacked, he was weakened, and bugs seem to gravitate towards compromised hosts. You can cook the grains or give raw. Instant would be okay, but preferably plain, not flavoured (avoiding the sugar and milk addatives).

The oil will not be as messy, and is more likely to loosen the clump of blockage IMO. I would lightly rub the neosporin on irritated skin; more to ward off infection than anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by