1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rooster has bubbles coming out of one of his eyes, he is acting fine..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Nov 20, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    What is this? What should I do? Also I have a barred rock pullet..she has been hurt..the feathers on the top of her head are gone..she has a scab on the top of her head and her head looks swollen. What should I do for her? I am thinking about bringing her into the house.

2. powerline

powerline In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Bubbles coming out of the eyes is a sign of Cronic Respatory Disease (CRD). It is usually caused by Micoplasma. It is kinda-like Walking Pheumonia. Extended treatment with Tetracycline will help. Also, treat the coop and surounding area with Hydrated Lyme.

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    What is hydrated lyme? Where do you get it? How do you use it? What is the purpose of it? DeeJay I started him on the antibiotics tetracycline. I am suppose to keep him on it for 5 days. Right?

4. thkosan

thkosan In the Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Hempstead, TX
    If you can not take the time or spend the money to take the chicken to an avian vet, try Tylan 50 or 200 (injected)... I had the same problem and it worked -- it is an antibiotic particularly effective against chicken respiratory infections. Typical standard sized chicken 1 cc Tylan 50 or 1/4 cc Tylan 200. Inject in the neck with the needle facing towards the body. Tylan is available through Jeffers, Randall Burkey, etc.

Good luck.

5. powerline

powerline In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Lyme is calsium carbonate. Hydrated Lyme is a white powder. It will eliminate most diseases. Hoe the ground in the coop. Put about 1/2 inch of lyme on the ground and work it in with a rake. Then, sprinkle the ground with water.
    I would give the Tetracycline for 3 weeks. I believe the normal treatment time is 10 days. I recomend doubling the amount of time it is given.

6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Powerline...where can I purchase this lime?

7. powerline

powerline In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    You should be able to get it at a hardware store, feed store or co-op.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: