Rooster has me worried....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My precious rooster, who turns 5 on Monday, God willing, has me worried. He has been shaking his head A LOT, sometimes scratching at his ear with his foot, and opening and closing his beak more than usual. This summer I had a problem with mites, but I think I got rid of them. He is feisty, and I sprinkled him with DE. He appears to be molting, which he does this time of year, but it seems to me more feathers are missing than in a regular molt and they are growing back in more slowly. What do you think could be his problem? Do chickens get ear mites? Should I treat him with some form of mectin? He is a lot less feisty acting than before, although I attributed this to his age, but I'm wondering whether he maybe doesn't feel up to par? What do you think?

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Does it sound like he could have worms? The other 8 chickens (hens) he resides with seem fine. I turned them upside down in July and dusted them thoroughly with DE, but in the summer this rooster was still very feisty, and I was afraid to do more than sprinkle his back well with the DE, at night, and rub it in. Do you think he could have a respiratory infection from the DE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by