Rooster has one eye closed almost shut and sleeping in nesting box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chrisy3, Jan 24, 2012.

1. chrisy3

chrisy3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    I have been reading all the posts to see if I can figure this out, Im thinking maybe CRD? or he got poked by something, perhaps dirt in his eye is what I take from posts of others.
    I did take in 5 new younger hens 30 days ago, one had sniffles and sneezing, could he have contracted something from them but just in his eye? I just order some antibiotics online from Ozbo, Tylan and Sulfadimethxin I hope I get them soon as I plan to treat my whole flock just in case. Am I off here or on the right track? Any advice is much appreciated

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, it's possible they all have one of the respiratory illnesses, and his primary symptom happens to be in the eye.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. chrisy3

chrisy3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Thank you for the link. When I went out to the coop this morning I noticed one of my girls was beat up, had lost several feathers and just looked as if she had been in a fight. I am starting to think there was a fight and my boy intervened and got hurt. I am now doing warm compresses and putting neosporyn around his eye lid. I fed him freeze dried meal worms and I put out a bowl of yogurt before I left for work and it was consumed by time I got home.
    Thanks...I will keep trying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by