We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Rooster has raw red feet with scabs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RyleeandMax, Jul 17, 2019.

1. RyleeandMax

RyleeandMax In the Brooder

May 23, 2019
    C47266F8-0E7C-4FD9-A546-80508E544348.jpeg image.jpg Hello, my gray Copper Maran rooster is about 6 years old and is such a good boy. He is so good with all of my hens and isn’t really breeding them much anymore, due to his age. He has had bad feet for probably a year now but never this bad. I know that sometimes if the rooster breeds regularly, then they can develop red feet. I don’t think that is his issues so I was curious on maybe what would be. Any ideas on causes and cures? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    image.jpg image.jpg

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    It looks like scaly leg mites to me. Feathered footed breeds seem to be more prone.
    I'd start with a 20 minute soak in a warm epsom salt bath to loosen scabs and scales then gently clean his legs and feet with a soft bristle toothbrush. Dry his legs and dip them in vegetable, mineral, linseed, olive or castor oil, wipe off the excess then slather his legs/feet with petroleum jelly to suffocate the mites. Reapply the petroleum jelly every other day or so until the scales look normal again. This may take a while.

RyleeandMax, Sequel, sourland and 2 others like this.
  4. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    Thank you so much for the advice. I don’t know if I would be able to soak his feet, I think it would cause him to get very stressed. Do you think I could just apply the oil and the jelly or do I absolutely need to soak them. Also can I use coconut oil instead?

5. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    Also if it is leg mites then couldn’t the other chickens have gotten it by now. It’s been at least a year and all of my other chickens are fine! Not saying you’re wrong I’m just trying to really narrow it down.

6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If you absolutely can't soak then oil and vaseline them. Any vegetable oil will work, I use castor because it's very thick. You can use coconut oil, but you need to put the vaseline over it to really suffocate the mites. Be generous with the application. Scaly mites are not as contagious as others, often they will only affect one or a few birds in a flock. You will need to reapply several times a week until his legs look more normal. It can take a while.
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

RyleeandMax, Sequel and sourland like this.
  7. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    That looks like tumors. Being that he is 6 its a good possibility.

RyleeandMax likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me it almost looks like a combination of scaly leg mites and perhaps a bacterial infection. After cleaning I would be tempted to coat his legs with an antibiotic ointment and continue treating until I saw improvement.

RyleeandMax, Sequel and DobieLover like this.
  9. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Is he sore? Does he walk okay?

RyleeandMax and Sequel like this.
  10. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I don't see anything that looks like a tumor. I do see what may be a mudball on the middle toe of his left foot (my computer won't let me save the picture to circle it), which is usually a combination of dirt, droppings and moisture. It looks like you can see the toenail around the base of the mudball. I would definitely soak that and try to get it off. It may take more than one soaking, they can be like concrete. Oil might soften that up also, given time. If it's not a mudball, then closer pictures would help.

Sequel and RyleeandMax like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: