1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster has scaly mites! Help me find a solution!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Namble, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    I've tried karosene already. Hasn't seemed to help much. Its getting worse as I've seen him just about limping his was around the yard. I feel horrible about it! What can I put on his legs to free himself of these pesky mites? Any ideas will be appreciated!!

-Grant

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Try using baby oil
    Dip his legs in until scales sre covered it will work for you eventually
    It softens the scales and smothers out the mites

3. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    ok thanks! Karosene would have probably worked for me if I used it enough.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Scaly leg mites can be hard to get rid of. Another option is to coat the legs in vasoline. Do that every couple of days. Also, ivermectin on the back of the neck can help. Make sure to keep his strength up with vitamins and treats like hard boiled eggs. The leg mites can take a toll.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    You got to soak his legs in warm water and remove most of the crusts first before oiling it (if it's badly infested, there will be bleeding), after that then dry his legs, soak in cooking oil and dry the excess. re-oil every 3-4 days.

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Back when I had her, my pheasant got scaly leg mites really badly one time. I was worried I would have to put her down, she was limping so badly she could hardly walk. It broke my heart seeing her in that condition, especially because it somehow came on very suddenly. I decided to try dipping her legs in vegetable oil. I did this once daily for a week or two, and she made a full recovery and looked as though nothing was ever wrong! Best of luck, I hope you find a remedy that works for you. I was surprised at how well the oil did the job!

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have had luck with Adams flea and tick with IG.
    I simple sprayed the legs once a month.
    I also sprayed the roosts weekly. The Scaley leg mite feeds on the birds legs at night and then retreats and hides within the wood of the coop, mainly the roosts. The uplifted scales are actually the fecal matter of the mite. I also replace my roosts yearly and burn the old ones.

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    red roost mite lives in the coop and feeds on the birds at night. the scaly leg mite lives in the skin & scales of the bird. different mites, red roost mite is harder to deal with as treating the entire coop is needed.

Quote:

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:
    Thanks for the clarification Mypicklebird. A question, does the red roost mite cause the leg scales to raise like the scaley leg mite?

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Not that I have seen- the red roost mite causes irritation and sometimes behavior changes- the birds will pick at themselves, and will sometimes start avoiding their roosts, nest boxes or coops when the infestation gets bad. They can also cause anemia if problem is bad- so the birds seem weak. You can actually see these guys fairly easily at night- go out with a flashlight after deep dark- pop into the coop and shine the light on the perches, coop walls and surfaces of the birds feet and feathers- you can see these mites walking around- the size of a grain of sand. Grey to red depending on if they have fed. I hate them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by