Rooster has sore/infection on his comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WildHorseMountain, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    We've had this rooster since August and he already had a few tiny black spots on his comb, it was in the middle at the top. After a about a week it developed an open sore which has what I think is something draining from it which drys into a white stain you can see around the sore. The black spots have also spread on one side of his comb and seem to have migrated to the front edge now. We have applied neosporin, but it seems to be getting worse. Do any of you know what this could be and what we can do to get this healed up? My Japanese bantam now has a few small black spots on his comb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Those look like normal fighting and pecking wounds. The white stain looks to be shedded dead skin, but maybe an expert can pipe up?

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Comb injuries tend to get uglier before they get better. It doesn't look too bad to me. I would just keep putting neosporin on it. It can take a couple of weeks for the black coloring to fade.

Mine get black spots too. It is usually from mosquito or ant bites. Could just be from being pecked too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Great! Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by