rooster has stolen my heart.

I agree with this ^
However there are many things you can do to have them treat you like the boss of the coop.
I would read some of the articles in the learning center about keeping roosters.
My rooster was starting to come up to me and peck me when I went in the coop so when we ever acted like he wanted to test me I would just lean down and shoo him away. After 2 days he stopped. He is really sweet

Agreed regarding rooster management. I think it's important to try to stay one step ahead of your rooster in terms of managing his behavior. Any time my roo comes near me, I "walk" him away. I will not allow him to breed the hens in my presence. When he does, he gets a free "flying" lesson. When I go to town this week, I plan to pick up the meanest squirt gun with the longest range I can find to work on his crowing behaviors. All that being said, I love my roo, and find him to be an absolute treat in the flock, and am doing what ever i can to ensure that this little boy maintains his respect for all humans being alpha over him.

Quote: x2 You all have really good advice. I love roosters.

I had planned on putting the roosters in a coop of there own.I keep questioning myself.Why keep them.I do have someone interested in one of them.when winter rolls around and the hens slack off laying.he will turn them loose and not feed them.they fall pry to starvation or a predator.I take care of my flock.and the thought of giving him Snow Bird.and letting him starve this winter.i just can't do it.

I so agree on that.He is one that got me interested and wanting chickens.He is a young fellow and has a family.they eat wild game and fish that they catch.Heavy in to church, good people.His reason is if they don't lay eggs in the winter months.I'm not going to waste money on feeding them.He just turns them loose.

That's so very wrong on so many levels. Why doesn't he just eat them when they no longer serve a purpose? If he's heavy into church, I might wonder where his sense of stewardship comes into play.

We have 3 roosters who all share a coop at night. Riley, the oldest has his two hens. The other two (One is Pongo) have 3-4 hens (the one hen looks ify... might be a boy?) and they don't fight at all. They go off together and Riley leaves them alone. Pongo is the biggest out of his group.

I have yet to see them fight and they've been together for a few months.

I agree,I was shocked when he told me what he does in the winter months.one by one they all disappeared.except for the rooster.I had just gotten some hens .and he asked me if I wanted him.if not he was going to shoot him.I told him No,I really didn't want a rooster.That has been several years ago.And his wife wanted to get some more chickens.He picked up 13 young pullets at tractor supply.now he said he would love to have a rooster.he loved hearing them crow.But knowing what I know.I can't give him snowbird.Now my husband is putting off building another coop.I'm some what at loss as what to do.

Back
Top Bottom