Rooster Has Taken To Biting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrychickengirl, May 18, 2010.

1. countrychickengirl

countrychickengirl The Delaware Project

Dec 4, 2009
    Winder
    My 16 week old rooster (Delaware) has begun biting me and I have been picking him up each time he does it but as of today, he is actually running at me all puffed out and going at my feet and hands - he even seemed to be blocking my way into the house with this behavior - any ideas of how I can break him of this before it gets out of control??

~Lisa~

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like his aggression is escalating now that he is approaching mating age. I hate when that happens. If it was mine, I'd grab him up and flip him upside down when he does it, just for a few seconds. If he bites, scoop him up and hold his beak shut with your fingers (not blocking his nares). If that doesn't fix it, I don't know. Isaac, his daddy, used to bite me at that age. Well, he did it twice. A couple of "aversion therapy" sessions of beak-holding and he never did it again, but he never ran at me or attacked my shoes. A couple of his brothers did at that age and I gave them away before they could influence him. Hope you can fix it, Lisa. I'm sorry he's being a butthead.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I, personally, would send him to freezer camp. But we have a zero tolerance policy for aggression here. First strike and you're out. If you don't mind rehabbing and are willing to keep a roo with the known tendency to be aggressive I'd go the aversion route and see what results you get. I can say even if I was open to rehabbing I would not give more than a few sessions before freezer camp would be the ultimate result all the same. Good Luck!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is he your only rooster? If so try aversion therapy as recommended. If you have other roosters, you might consider rehoming him. Aggression can be an inherited trait; therefore, it is better to utilize roosters that are not human aggressive for breeding.

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by