Rooster hasn't found his voice

thereseiam

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Durant, Iowa
Hi all,

I have a very timid, submissive rooster--so far as I can tell, he has never mated with the hens, (not like I have a camera on him though--and I'm not out there for that long every day) and I have never heard him crow.

Is he just a late bloomer? Will he get his voice, and his, er, will to procreate at some point?

He was being pecked where he was at before, so is probably a little gun shy, but I was hoping he'd start to come around a bit by now. I've had him almost a week.

I will say this much--he is definitely strong. I went to pick him up the other day, and have a mess of scratches on my arm that make me look like I went a couple rounds with a really upset kitty cat. I don't hold the rooster responsible for the scratches--he's not mean, he was just scared and I didn't get a good enough grip on him so he couldn't struggle. He has never tried to peck at me or anything like that.

Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Therese

Being new, he probably needs more time to settle. Also, every rooster is different. It takes some a long while to find their voice.
Is he your only roo? Sometimes if there's a more aggressive alpha roo, a shy one will try to blend in like he's not even there. No crowing, no mating.

I had a big leghorn rooster as a kid and he never quite got it__always sounded a bit like a dying cow!

lau.gif

My fav roo that was doing so well at first slowed down alot and was surpassed by his brooder brother. Rocky who was bigger in hight but not body took over the flock when Captain got a hurt leg. Rocky is no longer with us as a hawk got him. Captain which is now 19 weeks is just crowing wheres Rocky was crowing when 15 weeks. So do not worry some are just late bloomers.

I have 2 roo's both are the same age. One has been crowing for about 3weeks now or longer, the other still does not crow! The one who crowed early was trying to mate at the same time, but the other I have just noticed he is now trying to mate as well. The late bloomer is my chick I had the most issues with when they were little. He would be constantly in seclusion because the others were pulling his tail feathers out. Soo I assumed it was maybe because of that.

Thanks, guys, for the thoughts. I had to laugh as I was working out in the barn about 15 minutes after I wrote this post, and suddenly that silly roo was crowing his fool head off! LOL

He is the only roo I have--I only have a 20X20 area and 10 hens (at this point. . .) so I wouldn't get another roo until we upgrade--more hens and more room.

Therese

Well maybe it is like laying the first egg, It doesn't happen until you post about it here right? Or maybe - as my Funny Mother would say, You need to mentally project what you want and then they wil do it? -- um hasn't worked so far on her dog. But who am I to judge. My little Rooster has not crowed yet either - no one is picking on him so he is just a late bloomer too. My kids laugh because I pick him up - hold him like a football tucked under my arm and cockadoodle doo at him - I think he thinks I am nuts.

Still waiting on my first egg too! Any time now - any time....

CAL
JAX FL

Back
Top Bottom