rooster having breathing issues..help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommarob, Feb 3, 2015.

1. mommarob

mommarob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    When I got my little chick's we had one that had breathing issues, and his eyes were runny. It was so bad that the others were pecking his eyes out..so I took him out and nursed him back..now I'm going thru it again..I went to close them in tonight and saw that he is trying to roost he has his head pointed way down, with his neck twisted up, almost like he's having a seizure. His eyes are runny, and he's breathing heavy. .any ideas what to do..it's similar to when he was a chick..do you think he was born with this?

2. mommarob

Jul 20, 2014
    Emergency now
    my rooster is now in my house, he has black all thru his comb, he is having difficulty breathing and he keeps his head down and twisted under his body..this is sad to watch..what is wrong

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so very sorry for what you are seeing in your Rooster..it appears he may have a respiratory disease..he may well be being attacked by the others as he is debilitated...

I am even more sorry that you have not had any response in four days as to what the problem may be and how to treat it...it is very hard when we ask for help and receive no positive results...

You could try tylan...oxytetracycline...both antibiotics...it seems as if his respiratory system is breaking down...so very sad to acknowledge,,,he is unlikely to survive...my heart goes out to you, and to him...

4. CoatsCrew

CoatsCrew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    We went thru mycoplasmosis. I don't know for sure what you are dealing with but in my experience Tylan injections were what helped save some of my birds. Respiratory disease is a topic that most chicken keepers feel strongly about. We ended up having to depopulate, clean everything and lay fallow. It was a two year process. To save your baby for the time being try the Tylan injections. You can search the forums for the dosage. The medicine and the syringes are available at Tractor Supply. I also gave mine poly - vi-sol without iron and fed back cooked egg to them. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I think respiratory illness is the worse. It is so hard to tell exactly what you are dealing with in your flock. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have asked somebody to offer expert help here...

6. mommarob

Jul 20, 2014
    I will keep you posted..He is resting as comfortable as he can, he keeps his head close to his chest and twisted..every once in a while he will get up and eat/drink. I put 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water. He is drinking it..

7. CoatsCrew

Sep 9, 2012
    Do you have any Oxine, by chance?

8. CoatsCrew

Sep 9, 2012
    It works wonders when used in a cool mist vaporizer. I have also fed my sick babies (chickens) a baby parrot mix. I got it at Petsmart. I just mix up a tiny amount and let them peck or even feed them with a syringe. It works great to get some nutrition into them quickly.

9. mommarob

Jul 20, 2014
    I don't have oxine..where do I get it from

10. CoatsCrew

Sep 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to find it anywhere local, but I live in a pretty rural area. I've ordered it online. Do a search on it and read. There are several threads on here about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by