Rooster having fit (?seizure?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DuaneC, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DuaneC

DuaneC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    I have a barred rock rooster that has exhibited an unusual behavior and I've only seen it when he's been around the 'ladies'... And no, I'm not talking about that...

I have uploaded a 5 second clip to YouTube so you can take a look and tell me if this is something I should be concerned about. He exhibits no other unusual behavior. Odd things is, I have a bantam Silkie Cross roo that is a month or so younger than Henry and he's had this type of 'episode' a couple of times too. With Henry, though, it usually happens at least once anytime I'm out there with them long enough.

Thanks!

2. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Its not a seizure. My Puck does that too... It's a goofy mating thing.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He is enchanting the ladies with his dancing. It is to get the ladies to acquiece to mating. Also it can be used as a show of dominance to other males.

4. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    If I were a chicken, I would be laughing so hard an egg would pop out.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's the 'wing dance' part of the courtship behavior. If he does it to you, it may be an invitation to fight. [​IMG]

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Haha!!! That's VERY NORMAL!!! My rooster does that all the time! [​IMG] It's a mating behavior.

Edited for typo.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    ! agree, he is trying to impress the ladies.

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Haha! Thats a mating dance!

9. DuaneC

DuaneC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Ok, it seems the overwhelming vote is that this is normal, but ol' Henry looks like he's having a stroke! I was pretty sure it had to be some kind of semi-normal activity, but I don't ever remember seeing it in chickens when I was young. I guess I was too busy playing to pay attention.

I wanted to think he was fine, but he will sometimes go into 3 or 4 left-right turns around the 'girls' doing this and he looks like he's either a dweeb or has brain damage!

I guess men doing crazy things to attract women's attention isn't limited to humans. I just wonder if the hens think Henry's as crazy as most women think men are...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by