rooster having trouble eating..

tootymom

Hatching
Mar 27, 2015
mn
A few days ago my rooster was attacked by a raccoon. It ate his comb off and part of his wattle. He has was a bloody mess with puncture wounds in his head and his eyes swollen shut, infection set in immediately. After a shot of penicillin and a couple days off quietly resting his eyes have opened, he's crowing and feisty, but he isn't able to eat. He wants to eat, but every time he tries he ends up biting at the air about two inches above whatever he's trying to eat asif he cancan't measure distance anymore. His perception is off and his precision is gone. He's able to pinpoint his water after a few stabs at the general area, but he gives up on food after trying for a few minutes. He tries to eat whatever I present him with but he just can't connect with it. I've been able to hand feed him very little and I'm afraid he's going to starve to death. Any tips or tricks from anyone to help him?

It sounds like his vision is affected. You might want to try feeding him in a wie shallow small bowl, perhaps raised to the height of his beak. ou might also want to try moistening a little food to see if he can pick it up more easily. It may take some trial and error, and inventiveness on your part, to find an approach that works.

Back
Top Bottom