Rooster Having Trouble Walking, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinychicky, Feb 14, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    My 5 year old silkie rooster is having trouble walking! he tries to walk and then his legs stiffen up and he walks higher and higher up on his toes until he falls over! once he falls, his legs are too weak for him to get up again intil he's rested them for a while. he didn't get into a fight-he's still head of the flock, and there's no sign of broken bones and no flesh wounds. is this marek's? i know silkies are prone to it. what can i do to help him? if you don't have any advice at least send out some prayers or good thought for my little raven, please. he's my favorite rooster and so sweet and the head of the flock over all of the other roosters, even the games! please help!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know the answer but will bump you up. Hope all works out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I don't know anything about mareks. Do a search on botulism on this site and see if that fits -- paralysis is one of the signs.

4. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

How are his wings?

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    worth a try to give him a vitamin boost, sometimes can help it the problem is due to a vitamin deficiency.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:it's hard to tell, i mean being a silkie he doesn't us them much, but he hasn't really been flapping to keep his balance or anything, now that i think about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by