Rooster healing up, but don't know what to do next

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Delighted, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Delighted

Delighted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    We had dogs visit the pen last week, and they injured four chickens. Two were mostly frightened, and lost feathers, but two were badly hurt. The hen that was hurt was laboring to breathe-- we could find a few deep bites on her, but nothing to show how badly she was injured. We cleaned her up, best we could, brought her and the injured roo into the house to keep flies from laying eggs in the wounds, but she was evidently too seriously injured--internally, I'm guessing. She died about 3 days after the attack. I examined her more closely then, knowing I couldn't hurt her anymore, and that poor girl was bruised all over the left side. I feel bad that she suffered to death--had I known how bad it was, I would have (maybe) put her out of her misery. I feel so bad she had to go through all that. [​IMG]

The injured roo looked horrible--bites all over, feathers missing everywhere, several puncture bites around his tail--he looked real bad. We had a large dog crate to use as a hospital, and I cleaned him up, best I could, cutting away beaten up feathers, and used triple antibiotic. We clean his wounds twice a day with betadine and put the triple antibiotic on as many places as we can see. His water has electrolytes/vitamins in it. His feed is chick feed mixed with oatmeal, whole grain wheat berries, a few shelled sunflower seeds for fun, fed dry or with a mix of yogurt. We tried cooked eggs, and he didn't eat them as much. His appitite seems good, he drinks well, and boy can he poo! His crate is covered with a heavy blanket, to keep warmth in--we have an air conditioned house, and the room he's in gets the coldest. He doesn't get much light that way, though, and I don't know if that will bring on depression like it would with people. He's alone a good part of the day-- we visit when we can, but with work and all, it's not often enough in my opinion.

His wounds are healing up-- they still look horrible-- ya know how bad scabbing can look. I don't think any wound is still open-- as far as I can tell, he has scabs all over everything. It'll be a week tomorrow that he's been inside. I don't know how long to keep him in. His comb has fallen over, it doesn't stand up, but it has regained color. I'm most concerned about lack of light and loneliness. He's not a problem having inside-- we kind of like it, but I don't want him to get depressed--if chickens get depressed. He clucks at us when we come in, he doesn't run from us when we reach in to take him to the bathroom for his cleaning. He does fight the cleaning a bit. (This roo has never crowed-- he's the "lesser" rooster in the flock, and is fairly low in the pecking order with the hens, even. He's about 6 or 7 months old.

So, my main question, is, how long should he stay in the "Hospital"? Or, if he should stay in the dog crate longer, should we move it outside?

Thanks

2. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Don't put him back in with any open wounds. His skin should be fully healed or else the other chickens will pick at it and open him right back up again. [​IMG]

Hope he recovers fully [​IMG]

3. Delighted

Delighted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    Thanks, HyLinda I hope he does too! Those dogs will have an angry chicken mama to deal with, if they ever come back. KICK! THIS is for Charlotte, KICK! THIS is for Sebastian! [​IMG]

Let me make sure about this--I bought that blue spray you put on the wounds to hide the redness--I thought then they could be in with other chickens. I'm not using the spray right now, cuz I think it would be overkill with the betadine and the triple antibiotic.

So, I should probably wait til he grows at least a little bit of feathers back?

Do you have any advice about the light issue--he's not getting much in that pen. I was wondering if I should use a fishtank light that would give a bit of UV light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by