Rooster heavy...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vicschics, Apr 23, 2009.

1. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    My husband, bless his heart bought a blue cochin rooster roughly 1 year old, a red rooster (not sure of the breed), 3 japanese white hens and 4 japanese white roosters. As it stands everyone has their own home in very large dog crates but I hate the idea of having them cooped up at least temporaily. I take turns letting them out to graze and run around for excercise. I have absolutely fallen in love with the first 2 mentioned and the hens are really sweet to. As for the Japanese white roosters...I just don't know yet. They're beautiful but I'm afraid as they get older they are going to pick on the hens more. Any ideas on more permanent abodes for the roosters or should I seriously think about getting rid of them?[​IMG]

Thanks for any input. We are working on coops and runs as fast as we can just wondered if anyone had any real cool ideas for the pickle I'm in.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Put all the roosters that you don't want with the hens together in their own coop and run, separate from the hens. "Bachelor pads" often work well for a group of roosters that you want to keep.

3. vicschics

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    thanks for the quick reply...the roosters won't fight one another?? I can see this really working and that would certainly allow me to keep everyone. They are so loving and friendly. I just don't have to heart to get rid of them now .

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    there is no need for more than one rooster
    the little roosters will become more agressive as they get older

I raised all the breeds you mentioned

It would be better for yo to pick out just one japanese rooster and take them all to he sale if you all have chicken sales

they will not be able to live with the big cochin and red rooster

you will go out and find some body bloody and beat up

I would only keep one jap rooster and the others could all free range on same day as they will not bother the others if free ranging

as long as you get rid of three of the jap roosters
    let them at night live in their own dog kennel
    that seems like a fair arrangement

beware when folks sell birds they always rid themselves of roosters
    making some one else do the deed of selling or givig roosters away

the hens will be ruined by treading of four roosters
    japs re very agressive when breeding season is on

I always kept my roosters penned with their hens
    1 rooster to 3 hens

5. vicschics

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    Thank you Glenda for the insight. I'm not real crazy about the japs attitudes all round. We do have a couple auction houses that I could take them to. I will do this for the hens benefit. I believe what you say about people dumping their excess roosters as we have seen many, many go through the auction house doors. I really don't know why my husband bought so many to begin with.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by