rooster height for buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunflowerenvy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    how high does your orpington chicken roost at night without using a ladder?
    my chickens are about twelve weeks old . this is the second night in there new coop and hubby have to lift them up on to there roost[6ft high], my leghorns can make it up there and my silver campine can fly about 4 ft so i am wonder if i should make the roost lower. hubby is making the nest boxes about 18 inch from the ground.

he is making a special roost for my disability roo about 20 in off the ground.
    laura

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    When I build a custom coop for exhibition type Buff Orpingtons, I build the roost about 4' high. I use two 2x3 studs, mounted on the sides to the rear wall. I then take a 1x1 tomato stake and attached one stake every 6" until I get within 6" of the floor. Orpingtons are so heavy they need the assistance. You can see my coops and roost on my BYC page.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    thank u jim, i went to your byc web page and i saw your brooder. not not your coop i will tell my hubby needs to lower them.

4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    When you go to my BYC page, look across the top for my backyard coop pages. There are two different pages along with the brooder page. i got the design and idea for the coop from BYC pages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by