ROOSTER HELP IF YOU CLICK ON THIS PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING THANK YOU I NEED HELP AND SOON

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Faith67, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Faith67

Faith67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    With the animals
    Ok i am going to start of with this: GETTING RID OF KILLING REHOMING OR HAVING ROCKY MY ROOSTER LEAVE MY FARM IN ANY WAY IS NOT AN OPTION. Ok now that that is out of the way my rooster is starting to get arrgessive we just lost one of our other roosers (the head rooster to be exact) and now he is taking his job as head rooster very seriously if you dont know who he stands for it is rocky anywho when the other rooster was alive i used to crow and flap my arms ( wings) at him and he didnt do anything. I did it a couple of times after our other rooster died and he seemed more arrgessive but not alot also i made some of his hens cluck and he thought i was breeding with them so long story short now he sees me as another rooster and a threat and i need to fix it soon like within the week soon or atleast start getting him on the right track any info will be GREATLY appriciated P!EASE ANSWER SOON I NEED HELP HE IS A SEMI LARGE YEAR OLD BARRED ROCK. Thanks,
    Amber p.s. if someone is on right now and has info some advice by morning would be great that way i could start working with him tom I let the chickens out around nine so any time before then so i could catch him in the coop and work with him again thanks amber if i misspelled anything srry i was in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    When my roo charges me I charge right back! I never back off. I am bigger, period, end of story. He thinks he is tough, I think he is just jealous that the hens like me more!!

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Amber, Barred Rock roosters are often very aggressive. If you do not want to rehome him, you might have to isolate him and that would make him really unhappy. A mean rooster just isn't worth it. You may not want to put him in the freezer but by the sound of it, that's what needs to happen. He clearly doesn't respect you at all and when a rooster is like that he won't back down.

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    x2. When your rooster does anything aggressive to you, do it back to him. Let him know that YOU are the head rooster. Not HIM.

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Amber, can I ask how old you are? I sent you a PM, I hope it helps. Reason I ask is your age and/ or size may have a lot to do with why he thinks he can dominate over you.

6. Faith67

Mar 8, 2013
    With the animals
    Srry im not allowed to tell my age but i am like 4.2 feet high or something like that maybe a little taller

7. Faith67

Mar 8, 2013
    With the animals
    Oh once again REHOMING KILLING GETTING RID OF ROCKY IN ANY WAY IS NOT AN OPTION WE HAVE A FOX PROBLEM AND WE NEED ROOSTERS PROTECT OUR HENS THANK YOU

8. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    You are still bigger than that rooster! When he comes after you face him and run after him even give him a swat with a broom. (don't like knock him out with it) He will realize that he gets nowhere charging you and you will realize that he really can't hurt you. Any animal will push you as far as they can get away with...just like kids. You are the boss, let him know it!!

9. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Do not let your rooster know you are scared of him,I have a BR that is a jerkface he is mean bites and flogs with us that is not an option he is heading to freezer camp this weekend,but before we made that decision I tried several techniques
    1) I would pin him down with one hand on his back and one hand on his head and hold him there until he quit fighting me
    2) I would then pick him up and bring him to my chest his back against my chest I would keep him there until he quit kicking
    3) I would then transfer him into a football hold and walk around with him
    4) Repeat all steps
    if he charges charge right back do NOT back down if needed take the broom with you and give him a whack if he doesn't quit
    he needs to understand you are the ALPHA you bring the food and water you let him mate with your hens
    if he doesn't quit you may have to consider some other option for him
    My BR Roo didn't stop so that is why he is headed to freezer camp he has bitten me one too many times and has flogged my kids the only thing that saved him then was he was too small too harvest. Best of luck and do not back down from him if you are serious on showing him who's boss! The method has worked with my other roos they all take off to the other side of the yard when I am out or the kids are out even my big RIR roo doesn't try any of this and out of them all he is the one that somewhat scares me but he doesn't know that; but my BR is well a jerkface. I have tried and tried with him and it is hopeless I end up with bite marks and scratches after trying to work with him. Best of luck and remember if you are planning on breeding him the aggressive gene can be passed to his chicks,which is another reason why my BR Roo is headed to freezer camp.

10. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't do any of this. I'm not a chicken. I'm a human, a human with a brain, and I use it to come up with ideas to teach my roosters to leave me alone.

I started this after following all the advice given to grab or kick or chase or be the bigger rooster, and having my Swedish Flower Hens get more and more aggressive, and they got sneaky about it. The oldest one almost blinded my youngest son in a sudden and sneak attack, and I killed him within the hour as a result, leaving me with young roosters. So I decided my methods had to change or I would have no roosters very quickly, which would destroy my plans to raise these rare chickens.

Instead of challenging my roosters right back, I started watching my roosters and when they started thinking about being aggressive, I did something negative without me making an obvious move that made them associate thinking about charging with that action.

So I got some squirt guns! And when the roosters started thinking about charging...when I would see the rooster drop his head like he was thinking about charging...he got a squirt in the face. When he turned away, I left him alone. No chasing. No kicking. No sticks. No aggression. I just watched the birds and carried that squirt gun with me all the time. My birds free range over our entire property of 7 acres. There were many opportunities to discipline the darn roosters. Oddly enough, only the SFH roosters needed this watching. My mixes and EE roosters, as well as my Cochin and Silkie roos, are very gentle and respectful.

Well, it sure worked. My oldest SFH, one that natually seems to be more aggressive, actually runs from me now and gives me a wide berth (we are working on extending this to all humans now, as he has threatened the other members of my family....so they are now armed). My younger guys are all very mellow and very respectful.

I have also noticed that ensuring they have enough girls helps. My oldest SFH has significantly improved now that he has a few girlfriends of his own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by