1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster help!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by southernhens15, Nov 21, 2015.

1. southernhens15

southernhens15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Louisiana
    I currently have a flock of 8 hens, I've been hesitant on getting a rooster simply because the the crowing and aggression some can have.. (I was attacked by an aggressive rooster when I was younger, but have since met very wonderful roosters.) My question is what is the most docile breed of rooster that you would recommend? I know all roosters crow, but are there any that maybe arent as vocal as others?? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am by no means an expert when it comes to roosters, seeing as the one I have right now is my first, but I would definitely recommend Orpingtons. My "oops" Lavender Orpington boy has turned out to be great so far, and he's 5 months now. Of course, he's going through that insane adolescent stage that the young ones are notorious for, but even at his worst, he's never shown us aggression.
    [​IMG]
    -Alex

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've been raising chickens for 50 years and in my experience, generally the most docile standard sized rooster breeds have been Brahmas, Orpingtons, Austalorps, Cochins, Speckled Sussex, and Faverolles. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. My Silkie roosters have also been very docile but of course they are bantams.

1 person likes this.
  4. southernhens15

Nov 8, 2015
    Louisiana
    I have a buff orpington hen, I love her! She is gorgeous, although she is not very affectionate. But I have also heard orpingtons are pretty docile birds.

5. southernhens15

Nov 8, 2015
    Louisiana
    Ok I have another question, would it be best to get a bantam rooster because I have some bantam hens or does it matter?? I wouldn't want a LF rooster to hurt my little girls. Or should they be ok?

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I personally wouldn't keep a standard sized rooster with bantam hens as they can be rough even on full sized hens (it's why the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens). If you have bantam hens, I would get a bantam breed rooster with a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as a Silkie or Cochin bantam.

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure are! My own Buff Orp girl is super fluffy, gold, and docile. [​IMG] And like I stated earlier, I really like my Lavender boy, because he's the kind that you can wrap your arms around and give a big bear hug.

-Alex

8. sophiaw00

sophiaw00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Illinois
    I don't have any myself, but I have heard orpington roosters are definatley the way to go for nice roos! My guy is an easter egger, and as great as he is to humans and the hens, easter egger cockerels aren't always so nice.
    [​IMG]

9. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Out of roosters that I've owned I've only had one go aggressive and he was a Golden Cochin bantam. I like my Australorp roosters since the extra ones can be used for meat but they are very nice birds. Serama roosters in my opinion have a bad crow. I have gone to shows and I didn't like the crow that much. I have peafowl and I'm used to their sound but not a Serama rooster.

I've had my bantam rooster breed bigger hens and had no problems and I've had big roosters that try to breed bantam hens but ends up being difficult and sometimes they try not to if they have enough hens but sometimes they will still try. I would advise bantam to be safe and sound and not worry about it at all.

10. southernhens15

Nov 8, 2015
    Louisiana
    Serama rooster are very loud and obnoxious to me personally lol I am definitely not going to get one of those little fellas, but I'm really considering a Cochin bantam I really like the breed and I know roosters are all a personality of their own so I'm just hoping to get a well behaved gentleman lol :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by