1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster??????? help :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newtothis2011, Aug 31, 2011.

1. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    that is a rooster

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

It would help to have more information as to age and breed. If this chicken is approaching laying age, it is probably a pullet. The body looks more like a hen and the legs are not overly large. If it was a rooster, it would most likely be crowing by now.

4. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    they are 4 months and RIRs

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:At four months, I would vote pullet. At that age a RIR roo would be getting green tail feathers and body shape would be very different from this girl. Her comb and wattles indicate to me that she will be laying in a few weeks.

6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    pullet - RIR roos have very large combs and wattles by that age, as well as a good start on sickle feathers and well defined hackle and saddle feathers. I don't see any pointed feathers on your bird.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    pullet:)

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I vote pullet. I can't see the saddle and hackle feathers real well, but they look rounded, not pointed. The general body conformation looks like a pullet. The legs in the second photo look a bit heavy, but I think that is probably due to the angle of the shot. The wattles don't look quite as big as I would expect on a rooster that age. I'd be expecting eggs soon.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

10. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I have 10 RIR hens, at that age that is what they looked like, definitely a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by