Rooster Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knight1992, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Knight1992

Knight1992 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    My Rooster is real Skinny he use to be Real big and hefty.what can i feed him to put weight back on him plus how long does it take for a rooster to gain weight after loosing so much

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is wise to consider that he might have worms if he has lost weight.

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee. Some people just worm them if they suspect worms. But toss eggs after wormers.

What are you feeding him now? It may be ok...he might be dying from worms.

Is he healthy looking other than being skinny? Does he eat and act ok?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. Knight1992

Knight1992 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    I took him to the vet he does not have worms he said he had something called vitamin b - now we are feeding him purina start and grow is what we are feeding him now he is eating it alot we have other food called mannapro harvest delight poultry treat am i feedin the right 1 or what should i get

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Could be a worm problem, you will need to worm all of your chickens. Increase the protein. Scrambled eggs with butter milk. Can cat food and dry cat food is helpful to put weight on. But you will need to figure out why he has lost so much weight. I hope he starts putting weight back on! He should start looking better in a couple of weeks.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/StartGrow/default.aspx
    Well it says it is 18% protein...that is pretty good.

I am not familiar with the treat you mentioned. I would assume he will do ok on the start and grow and get his weight back. He shouldn't have lost weight though. I hope he feels better soon!

Here if you look down the page you can click on the different B vitamin deficiencies for more information if that was the vet's diagnosis:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/toc_206900.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by