rooster hen aggression

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigleghorn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bigleghorn

bigleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find any answers so far. Sunday I finally introduced my rooster, a 4 month old naked neck "chester" to my flock of 6 one year old hens. By day two they all got surprisingly along. I thought I got lucky until he started to try to mate with my hens. Of course this caused a six on one fight. Chester seems to win these harmless little battles. My question is will this soon stop? I know he will never stop mating but as time passes I assume the hens will let him mate. He won't hurt them will he? This only happens in the evening with me in his presense, he will not do it in front of my mom or dad. Thanks for any replies.

2. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    I never did have any problems with roos hurting my hens. But I have noticed hens being very brutal to cockerels under 6 mos. Your male wants to mate, but the hens see him as too young and don't want him anywhere near them. Eventually, they'll relent and stop picking on him, and he will be the happiest roo around, Don't Worry!!!

3. bigleghorn

bigleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll see how they treat him as time goes by. Some hens are warming up to him.

4. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Good for him! And good luck to you!

5. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    And welcome to Backyard Chickens!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by