Rooster/Hen Ratio/Space Ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barred Babies, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I know that the normal ratio is around 12 hens to 1 rooster so when we got new chicks the year and one turned out to be a roo I decided to keep him. So that made it 45 hens/pullets to 2 roosters. Well I had a friend hatch out some Golden Cuckoo Marans and I have 2 of his little roos! I think I'm going to keep one of them along with one lonely little female sex link. Okay so my question is this... My Coop/Run (it's a open design) my coop is 5' x 16' 3 sided the total combined is 21 ft wide, 36 ft long and 8 ft tall. Could I have 3 roosters with 46 pullets in this space or would they fight??

Thanks,
    Missi

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Do you have a run as well or do they freerang????

3. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:My coop & run combined is 21 ft x 36 ft. And they free range almost every day.

Missi

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Going by chicken math I would say you should be fine.. You really wont know until you put them together .. If the roos are raised together they tend to not fight as badly .. Also watch for them to tag team the hens.. Thios is the only time my hens get injured is one roo hol;ds while the other does the deed....

5. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Wow. Never heard of them doing that. That's crazy!

Thanks for you help.

Missi

6. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    They'll fight no matter what but I think it's silly to worry about having more than one rooster. I have 4 roos and 9 hens in a small coop and run. You can definitely keep 3 roos and 46 hens in the space you have if I can do that!

7. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Well we're definetly going to try it. [​IMG]

Missi

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Having a few roosters while free ranging seems to be less of a problem than when they are confined. They can keep to their own little area to avoid tresspassing on another's bad side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by