Rooster:hen ratio

AJW62511

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2020
Wrightsville, PA
We have only had our own flock for a year now and added 4 in august to our existing flock. I have read a lot of rooster to hen ratio threads and I am unsure of what to do. We have 9 girls and a rooster and what we thought was another hen… I don’t think she is a she. The ones in question were hatched in April 2020 and we acquired them in August. We were trying for 10 girls and a rooster. Can you keep two roosters? They were hatched and grew up together? We have a backyard flock on a hobby farm, they free range and then have a 20x20 net-covered area when our weather is terrible or the eagles are out in full force. Both are super nice and very good with the hens and to me and my 2&5yr old. The grey one is in question of hen vs rooster. The other is all rooster, crows, takes care of his flock and is great. I don’t know what to do! Any thoughts, suggestions, or direction?!?! Thank you!!

Attachments

• F97CA311-8F5A-4EA3-9198-F05185380588.jpeg
    F97CA311-8F5A-4EA3-9198-F05185380588.jpeg
    735.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 7C2BA3C4-48A4-42C3-A590-1DB26F7BBF67.jpeg
    7C2BA3C4-48A4-42C3-A590-1DB26F7BBF67.jpeg
    789 KB · Views: 3
Yes you have a 2nd boy. If they continue to get along there's no reason you can't keep both, but be prepared to act if things change between them (or between them and the hens, i.e overbreeding). Possible solutions depending on what issue(s) arise: rehome one or both, physically separate them into 2 smaller flocks, physically separate out the boys from the girls.

Can you keep two roosters?
Maybe. Each chicken has its own personality, each flock has its own dynamics. We keep them in many different set-ups and climates nd we use different management techniques. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know if you have any specific concerns about keeping two. If you do we can discuss them but my conclusion will be the same for any of them, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. My general recommendation is to keep as few boys as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more boys but that the more boys you have the more likely it is that you will have problems.

I agree, both are boys. And I agree, if you try to keep both have a plan ready to separate them from each other or from the girls if the need arises. Sometimes that need can come on pretty quickly.

We have only had our own flock for a year now and added 4 in august to our existing flock. I have read a lot of rooster to hen ratio threads and I am unsure of what to do. We have 9 girls and a rooster and what we thought was another hen… I don’t think she is a she. The ones in question were hatched in April 2020 and we acquired them in August. We were trying for 10 girls and a rooster. Can you keep two roosters? They were hatched and grew up together? We have a backyard flock on a hobby farm, they free range and then have a 20x20 net-covered area when our weather is terrible or the eagles are out in full force. Both are super nice and very good with the hens and to me and my 2&5yr old. The grey one is in question of hen vs rooster. The other is all rooster, crows, takes care of his flock and is great. I don’t know what to do! Any thoughts, suggestions, or direction?!?! Thank you!!
Yes you have 2boys and yes you can keep both I have 8roosters in my main coop but if I were you I would get a couple more hens

The more roosters you have, the more chance you have of it not working. And it will work until it doesn't. With multiple roosters, it is best to have a plan B set up and ready to go. A way to separate fighting rooster, such as a fish net. And a place to put one of them, such as a dog crate.

You might not ever need to use it, but if you need it, you tend to need it NOW.

Beware, be very aware of small children and roosters. Children tend to move quickly, sometimes with shrieks, sometimes this will trigger an aggressive response in roosters, especially if the children and chickens share an area. If asked, (and you didn't) I would not recommend a rooster until the youngest was over the age of 6. Not worth it to me.

And roosters are opportunists, when they begin to become aggressive, they often attack children first. Young children like your own, can take the attack in the face, or back of the head, sometimes causing severe injuries, sometimes knocking a child down. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids.

Inexperienced people often times do not pick up on the signs of aggression, and think the attack came out of nowhere. This forum is filled with posts where the darling became the nightmare.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom