Rooster/Hen ratio

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirl1995, Nov 3, 2010.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm not sure if this is in the right place but oh well. I have way more roosters than I realized. In a flock of 25 theres at least 12 of them. The roosters have suddenly started mating with the hens today. I'm gonna get more hens but I'd have to wait a while till they got big enough to put in there with the others. I cant buy started pullets because I don't have enough money. Any ideas? My poor hens:(
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my, a good ratio would be 9 hens per rooster. Could you possibly split them and keep the roos separate from the hens? Your poor ladies will be abused for sure with that many! Or you could count how many you have, and offer them for sale on Craigslist, or better yet, for free. Somebody will take them very quickly for sure.

Good luck!
  3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think the ratio could even be as high as 12-15 hens to roo. I think you have way too many..time to send a few to freezer camp or rehome them. If not, your girls are going to be miserable. Your coop is going to look like that HBO show Cathouse!
  4. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    I think I'm just gonna have to separate them. Poor things. I feel so bad
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes, find some way to separate them, or you'll not only have torn up, stressed out pullets/hens, but you'll have lots of roosters fighting too, which can get really ugly... [​IMG] Offer the roosters free on CL, process them, or separate them.
  6. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    I did separate them. I rotated out a rooster every couple of hours to free range. Now they're all sleepin:)
  7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    A ratio of 1:8 roosters to hens is the MINIMUM. The perfect ratio in my experience for a free-ranged flock is about 1:15.

I got my first chickens in spring 2009. I got 25 RIR and BO pullets and 40 RIR and BR roosters for freezer camp. As you can imagine, it was awful. I later found out that RIR roosters are well known for their very high sex-drive compared to other breeds, and BOs are very mild mannered. Four of my hens were literally raped to death before we got all the roosters butchered. [​IMG] Now I keep the extra roosters separate from the hens until they're fat enough to send to freezer camp. At least my hens are happy. [​IMG]
  8. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i have heard on here 1 roo to 4 hens if you are concerned about egg fertility
  9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Make a bachelor pen.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get rid of 11 roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by