Rooster/Hen ~ When can I tell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BokBokBokking, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BokBokBokking

BokBokBokking New Egg

Aug 14, 2007
    West, Tennessee
    Hello Chicken Friends. I'm jumping on to the wagon with our first chickens ever:D. We have 3 baby chicks given to us by a friend. Two of those were actually the eggs and we watched them hatch. So exciting. They obviously haven't been sexed, so how soon will I be able to tell if they are Hens or Roosters? I did read the post about "Sexing buff laced polish" but I didn't quit understand. Can someone please help me and speak very slowly?[​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi & Welcome to BYC!

How old are your chicks?

We guessed one Araucauna would eventually be a future roo when he began trying to crow at 6 weeks, our Silver Spangled Hamburg around the same age because of his comb.

I think it depends alot on breed and age.

Dawn

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It does depend on breed and age. A leghorn I can sex by looking at the comb on their heads and watching for it to turn pink then red. I can reliably determine those at 2-3 weeks. Now my silkies are a whole nother boat. I can't figure out some of thoes till 3 months old! Some even later. You want to watch for secondary sex characteristics like larger combs and wattles, pointed sickle and hackle feathers, and a wider ganglier leg size to body ratio compared to the others.

4. BokBokBokking

BokBokBokking New Egg

Aug 14, 2007
    West, Tennessee
    Thanks. These kiddos are only 3 days old! I don't think we know what breed they are? Can you have a "mut" chicken? I guess in 3 weeks I'll start the detective work that you all mentioned (watching thier combs, waddles, feathers) and maybe post pictures so you can give it a go too. You know, silkiechicken mentioned a ganglier leg size to body ratio... I swore one was a dinosaur popping that leg out of his egg. His legs are so much bigger and thicker. Too soon to tell? I guess we'll see.

5. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    Quote:We prefer to call them "hybrids." [​IMG] But, sure, yeah. This batch of chicks we're raising are a cross between a Cochin rooster and a Golden Comet hen; we've decided to call them "Thornecrofts" after the name of our farm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by