Rooster Hen

Pics

giwa

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2018
My near 3 month old production red hen is turning into a rooster. On February 28th I purchased two female chicks from a farming store, the Production Red and a Barred Plymouth Rock. I only have the two chickens. I wonder now if I purchased a rooster unknowingly or if the hen is morphing into a rooster. I can not find a lot of info yet on the topic of chicken sex transformation, or Production Reds for that matter, and want to know if anyone can guide me toward some resources? I am also a first time chicken owner, lol, with no previous experiences.

Transformation is unlikely!
Meaning impossible. Although some hens can take on behaviors of roosters, such as crowing.
When you buy chicks -even if they are supposed to all be girls- there is a 10% rate of misidentification of the gender.
If you could post pictures that include a clear whole body photo
And a head shot showing the comb developement I’m sure lots of people would love to take some guesses.

Some people in my life had tried to tell me that she is more rooster-like. These people are not chicken experts so I did not take it too seriously.
But all within about the past 4 days, I've been starting to wonder... she has become kinda mean. While inside of the cage/coup she will bite my hand when I grab the food bowl or something else from the cage. She will also bite my hand when sitting next to me if I make a fast movement with my hand, especially down low by her feet. She has bitten my feet when walking past her, twice, and sometimes when I walk past her I can tell she wants to run up and bite my feet but holds herself back. It is almost like the biting is something she doesn't want to do, but that it happens spontaneously like a herding dog sometimes has issues with. She does still let me pick her up and cuddle and she likes to sit in my lap. Then this morning she was trying to crow; A strange Er-er-er that sounded like it was passing through a kazoo. And, officially today, she is trying to mount the Barred Rock pullet. She is growing at a faster rate than the Barred Rock. There have been maybe a couple other things that I just can't remember at the moment. I still do not truly know if any of these things are definitive in proving she is a rooster. I have read that a dominant hen can take on rooster characteristics in the absence of a rooster among hens, though unable to father children but I'm not sure if that is something that should have happened later than now. And after starting this thread, I found out that it is not 100% guaranteed all chicks at the store are girls...
The very few pictures I can find online of production reds do not even look like her. I can't even figure out if I have a production red!
I will post some pictures of her. These pics were taken within the past 2 or 3 days. She is about to or is sunbathing in them... she looks different now with bigger comb, earlobes and waddles than she did just 9 days ago.

P.S. She does not have spurs. There are sharp little bumps where a spur might go but the other chicken has them too.

Attachments

• IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    857.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    852.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2749.2.jpg
    IMG_2749.2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    736.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    571.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2758.2.jpg
    IMG_2758.2.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2825.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My near 3 month old production red hen is turning into a rooster. On February 28th I purchased two female chicks from a farming store, the Production Red and a Barred Plymouth Rock. I only have the two chickens. I wonder now if I purchased a rooster unknowingly or if the hen is morphing into a rooster. I can not find a lot of info yet on the topic of chicken sex transformation, or Production Reds for that matter, and want to know if anyone can guide me toward some resources? I am also a first time chicken owner, lol, with no previous experiences.
:thumbsup :welcome

Some people in my life had tried to tell me that she is more rooster-like. These people are not chicken experts so I did not take it too seriously.
But all within about the past 4 days, I've been starting to wonder... she has become kinda mean. While inside of the cage/coup she will bite my hand when I grab the food bowl or something else from the cage. She will also bite my hand when sitting next to me if I make a fast movement with my hand, especially down low by her feet. She has bitten my feet when walking past her, twice, and sometimes when I walk past her I can tell she wants to run up and bite my feet but holds herself back. It is almost like the biting is something she doesn't want to do, but that it happens spontaneously like a herding dog sometimes has issues with. She does still let me pick her up and cuddle and she likes to sit in my lap. Then this morning she was trying to crow; A strange Er-er-er that sounded like it was passing through a kazoo. And, officially today, she is trying to mount the Barred Rock pullet. She is growing at a faster rate than the Barred Rock. There have been maybe a couple other things that I just can't remember at the moment. I still do not truly know if any of these things are definitive in proving she is a rooster. I have read that a dominant hen can take on rooster characteristics in the absence of a rooster among hens, though unable to father children but I'm not sure if that is something that should have happened later than now. And after starting this thread, I found out that it is not 100% guaranteed all chicks at the store are girls...
The very few pictures I can find online of production reds do not even look like her. I can't even figure out if I have a production red!
I will post some pictures of her. These pics were taken within the past 2 or 3 days. She is about to or is sunbathing in them... she looks different now with bigger comb, earlobes and waddles than she did just 9 days ago.

P.S. She does not have spurs. There are sharp little bumps where a spur might go but the other chicken has them too.
Rooster! A picture of mine for reference.
F4DE9003-E9AE-4352-BFC8-2616EE040AA4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom