Rooster hit by a car

Coralietg

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Opelousas, LA
I came home yesterday to evidence of chicken hit and run, bunch of feathers along the road. I didn't see a dead chicken, none in the ditch, I found him under the car port.

Pretty sure he has a broken wing, not using one leg, blood on his beak. He's breathing a little heavy with his mouth open. I left him under the carport with a little cup of water, to see if he would make it through the night.

This morning he was in the same place, still the same. I lifted him on to a chair, so he would be more comfortable. Shortly after, he started doing some strange breathing thing (he looked like he was crowing, with no sound, but a bit rattly). I thought he was on his way out, put him on the grass so he could feel the sun. He worked past it. Put him back on the chair.

What do I do with him? Is there any chance he can make it?

Put him in a box large enough to turn around, keep him warm, not hot, and quiet. Leave some water were he can reach it and let him alone. If he made it that far to the garage he might just be bruised. But then again....if he doesn't appear to be in alot of pain I'd give him a chance.

It would be a shame after surviving a car accident to pull the plug on him now. You can also scramble a little egg for him to eat. It's amazing how tough they can be! Nature does provide pain relief in the form of endorphins and if you're in shock you really don't feel alot. It's your call.

I can't cull him, I feel so bad that he is suffering. My partner is deployed with disaster relief, and he told me to do the same. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've been syringe feeding him a bit of water, and (this is probably the wrong thing to do I'm sure) I gave him 1ml of childrens Tylenol.

All our chickens free range, but we do lose a few a year to cars. It's usually a definitive death though, I've never had one of them survive.

Do not syringe feed him, it's too easy to drown him. Just let him alone. If you want to give him water just place a drop on his beak, or show him the water in the cup. That's all you can do. If your not experienced in euthanathia now is not the time to learn. Just give him peace and quiet and let nature take its course.

I can't cull him, I feel so bad that he is suffering. My partner is deployed with disaster relief, and he told me to do the same. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've been syringe feeding him a bit of water, and (this is probably the wrong thing to do I'm sure) I gave him 1ml of childrens Tylenol.

All our chickens free range, but we do lose a few a year to cars. It's usually a definitive death though, I've never had one of them survive.
If you can't do it yourself, I understand. I have been known to do everything I can before ending a life. I completely respect that.

Restrict movement 100% no moving allowed for him. If you want him to eat and drink, I find making a really wet mash and dipping the beak into it will entice him to drink (even if slowly) do it often. I have hand fed and had a pullet return to normal because of my intervention (she had a really bad uterine infection and was on death's hit list). I think without my intervention of force feeding she wouldn't have kept her energy up enough to let the antibiotics take affect.

I'd also administer antibiotics to prevent infection from any internal injuries. Better safe than sorry.

So you think the leg and wing is broken.. What about his ribs? Broken ribs can cause pain while breathing.

I've put him in an old laundry basket with a towel, brought him into the house. The other chickens were harassing him.

I can feel a small amount of crepitus around his chest, but not too much. His breastbone is intact.

I've put him in an old laundry basket with a towel, brought him into the house. The other chickens were harassing him.

I can feel a small amount of crepitus around his chest, but not too much. His breastbone is intact.
I find TV helps when I'm sore.

All joking aside, you are wonderful for doing all this. Is his leg broken?

His leg isn't visible deformed, one toe looks a little crooked. I honestly have little idea what to look for. His biggest issue right now is the breathing, he's coughing a little bit now, and breathing is still laboured.

His head is down now, and his eyes are closed. I think he's done.

Back
Top Bottom