Rooster hormones

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEChicken, Nov 24, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When I let the chooks out this morning, my 18-week-old BO rooster looked over at his 18-week-old BO sister and suddenly realized how sexy she is. Poor girl couldn't get near the morning mash without him attempting to show her how much she pleases him. Although 18-weeks old, I don't believe she is close to egg laying based on comb development and she certainly is not squatting yet (nor did she seem pleased by his advances). Is it possible he is seeing something I'm not, or is he just acting on his own hormones regardless of whether or not she's ready?

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    My BO roo hit the same "developmental benchmark" as yours at about that age. It took his girls several weeks to reach the point they were willing to put up with his advances.

3. Old_English_Lover

Old_English_Lover Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2009
    He's letting her know that when she is "ready" that she belongs to him and nobody else. Sooner or later other roosters will notice her and he will probaly try to chase them off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by