Rooster House?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brownfarms, Jul 30, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    So we are still in the design phase...partly because DH doesn't realize the TIME SCHEDULE WE'RE ON!!! Anyway...I just realized it might be smart to add a rooster house on the side. We have 4 adult roos and 2 juvi roos (hopefully...that's all there is). We live on 7 acres of ag property in the middle of suburbia. Our house sits in the middle so neighbors aren't right next to us. However, if the roosters start crowing at 4am they'll hear it. At 7am, there is enough traffic and stuff that I don't need to worry about it. SO... I want the hens to be able to get up when the sun is up, but I want the roos to have total darkness until I'm ready to get them up. Right now they get put in a small shed. So...has anyone done something similar?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I've never done it, so I'm not sure. It might work. But, you know roosters crow whenever they hear strange noises too, don't ya? Our roo starts crowing about 3 a.m.. I think that's when the deer start running through the fields near the barn.

I once read about a woman who put all her roos in individual rabbit hutch type houses. They were set up back to back. The roos couldn't fight and she kept the shades down on the windows so they couldn't see sunrise. [​IMG]

3. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Oh I totally know that. They will be sound proofed enough inside the coop since our neighbors are more than 200 feet away. I hear them, but I don't mind.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Complete darkness will reduce crowing but not eliminate it.

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I am confused because have listened to roosters and they did not seem loud at all to me compared to other birds. If they are in a coop 200 feet away i would think someone inside their house should not hear anything at that distance. If they do hear something through the walls in their house the sound should be really faint.

6. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    My coop is 350 feet away from my house and i only have 2 millie fluer bantam roos and we hear them all day long.

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I do that with my roos, they stay inside a dark coop until 7 or 8. We live in a suburbia area also. The coop arent air tight, but it muffles the noise enough that I can not hear it from inside....

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You need to find a good balance between insulation and ventilation, or they will get overly warm.

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:Agreed and once the first rooster goes off, get ready for all of them to go off. As if each is trying to outdo the others.

10. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    The balance of ventilation and darkness is my main issue. I will pay attention to that. I don't think I'm so worried about darkness so they DON'T crow as I am just keeping the sound reduced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by