Rooster Hurt Hen

CCFarms9559

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Jeffersontown, Ky
My rooster had cut the back of my hen's neck a couple of weeks ago. I had been treating her with BlueKote and she was getting better. It had scabbed over and part of the scab had even come off. BUT today when I got home from work, he had got her again. Her head is bald, raw and bleeding. It looks terrible. I brought her in, cleaned it, but Neosporin on it, got some antibiotics from Tractor Supply and put them in her water. I have her separated in a cage on my deck. She is standing upright and eating. Is there anything else I can do for her? She is my favorite chicken (of course) and I have made arrangements for someone to come and get the rooster... Anything else I can do for her?

They need a little smiley waving an ax...lol. Sounds like you're doing all you can for the little hen/pullett. I'm glad your cockerel is being "rehomed." That definitely sounds much rougher than just typical adolescent hormones
sad.png

Last edited:
Update on my poor hen - she is in a large dog crate on my screened in porch. She is standing up, eating some. Haven't seen her drink the antibiotic water. When she sleeps she is sort of sitting down like a hen would normally. Her head does not look as "wet" but her wounds have not scabbed over. Could be the neosporin I put on her. She does not appear to be in pain and "talks" to me when I come out to see her. It is about 100 degrees here. I just hope she makes it.

The person who was going to take my roo has not shown up so I listed him as free on Craigs list. Had two responses. Hopefully one of them will come for him.

OK, now I am getting nervous. I think she has stopped eating. I scrambled an egg and she wouldn't touch it and then I got her some bird seed - not eating anything. Just sitting in the cage with her eyes shut. This is my first injured chicken. Is she dying??? I don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom