Rooster hurt hen

terrilhb

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
Ok so I am outside and I see on of my Roo's on one of my hens. But he does not get off. When he finally does he has ripped out her feathers and their is some blood. I brought her in and put her in a cage. I have to go and get some blue kote tomorrow. I know that you can use Neosporin but without the pain stuff. I do not have any. All I have is Equate triple antibiotic ointment. Can I use that so she does not get an infection? I took 2 pics they are not real good cause she will not hold still.
73626_hurt_chicken_001.jpg
73626_hurt_chicken_002.jpg
I have several hens missing feathers. Know I know which Roo is so rough. Got to figure out what to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated. How long should I keep her in the house.
fl.gif

Equate triple antibiotic ointment is exactly the same as Neosporin, without the brand name. I never buy Neosporin, costs much more than generic versions of the same med, which is what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not have the pain stuff in it. I have 11 hens and 3 roo's. Everything has been really good until lately. I know I need to get rid of 1. But he is not a RIR so even though it will be hard I can do it. The other 2 Roo's are RIR's. I wanted to keep them. I will soon have new hens. Would 2 be ok. I don't want my hens to be hurt and will do what I need to. Thank you all

It's also fine if it has pain reliever in it. What is dangerous is topical pain relievers in the "caine" group, like benzocaine, solarcaine, lidocaine, etc. Neosporin with pain reliever is a completely different med.

You really don't have to keep her in the house at all. You can make her an apron and put her back. Just cut it out of polarfleece or sweatshirt material, no sewing needed. If you're going to isolate someone, I'd say it needs to be the roo.

How to make an apron (saddle):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407575

Or make one out of duct tape:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-6/Joyce_Dixon.html

I agree with ddawn--my (sick) rooster David does the same thing and it makes me mad because I feel horrible for my baby girls...but thats the pecking order. If you are concerned about your hens you can make/buy an apron to stick on their backs. Hope you get to the bottom of this problem
wink.png

Some roosters are gentle; some are rough. Personally, I won't have a rough rooster. At least her back is not bare yet. I would get rid of the rough guy, and only keep roosters who are good with your girls.
This is not a pecking order issue - this is an inconsiderate rooster issue, whether it's because of having too many roosters (competition), overly active hormones (usually 5 mos. - a year), or just meanness. The chicken aprons mentioned are great, and can save your hens' backs. Even with two roosters, it's good that you're getting more hens, since 10:1 is a better ratio.

Ok I posted this last night. After I got the bleeding to stop I put her back out. All was good until this evening. Than I noticed the other chickens were pecking at the sore. No blood. So I brought her back in. I have her in a cat cage right now. Should I put her in like a dog kennel. I have a big one. Also how long should I leave her in the house? Thanks everyone

Did you get the blukote? If so, you can use that to disguise the area where the skin is broken, and that will, hopefully, keep the others from pecking at her. If that doesn't work, I'd keep her separate until the wound has healed. If you do that, though, you're going to have the hassle of reintroducing her to the flock, and she might get picked on again.

I don't have any. Had some issues today could not get it. Will definetly tomorrow. Will she be ok in the cat cage tonight? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom